Start a new thread
nutcutlet

I've been thinking today and there are questions. Chimonanthus praecox I grew from seed maybe 10 years ago, might be a bit more. It's 5 or 6 feet tall and quite bushy. Any ideas when I might expect a flower?

discodave

has it never flowered?

nutcutlet

Thanks Dove, I'll have a strong word with it and a bit of potash. It can have the contents of the ashpan from the woodstove, or would that be too extreme?

Advertisement

nutcutlet

I wonder if the 7 year estimate is from buying one at a GC when it would already be several years old. Mind you, mine is fairly substantial looking now and I hope for action very soon. 

nutcutlet

At last, not many but it's a start

pansyface

Congratulations on the Christmas birth

I don't know that one but it does look very attractive.  What aspect and soil Nutcutlet ? I'm thinking of my new hedge plan

nutcutlet

The soil is very well drained and lacking in humous. It's now quite shady which it wasn't in the beginning. It may not be ideal, may be the reason I had to wait so long

nutcutlet

Yes, look it up and check pruning. It's quite straggly, especially after this wet year or two and I don't know how it would respond to hedging. I've only cut off a few broken branches so far.

Cornus mas is another yellow winter flowerer to consider. It's very reliable for me

I have Cornus mas on loan..........it leans over from my neighbour's garden so I get the benefit ( and the pruning too unfortunately as she is elderly.......well.......more elderly than me at any rate ). The Goldfinches congregate there so it's worth the effort 

More congrats from me too

Was it the threat of  " grounding it "     which  made it see sense ,

maybe it did want to stay after all ? 

Advertisement

nutcutlet

I should think that's what did it gran. It usually works

chicky

Oooh !  A christmas baby.  Still have 4 more years of patiently waiting to go here - so great to share others whilst I am tapping my feet.  Will try booming "off with its head" next time I am passing

Are you planning a 2015 nyd flower count Nut?  My daphne obliged yesterday, so I will have at least one !

nutcutlet

Oh yes chicky. We've been doing that for years, can't stop now