Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fig Tree

We have recently bought a brown turkey fig tree. The garden is south facing and we have a 6 foot fence down each side. I was wondering where it is best to plant, on the east or west facing fence? My idea was to train it to grow along the fence in a fan shape. Thank you in advance for your help.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

West facing as this will give it the longest and warmest hours of sunshine for ripening the fruits.  

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thats great, thank you. I am just going to get some paving slabs to restrict the roots!

• Thanks Christopher, I have just bought the five slabs. I am going to site it next to a japanese quince so hope it will be OK. Look forward to seeing some fruit in a couple of years!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Protection with fleece unnecessesary, figs are tough as old boots.  Unless the site is very cold, and a west-facing position should not be.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

My fig was in wet West Wales, a Brown Turkey, on an exposed west wall, in the ground, at over 600ft and never protected with fleece.  We will agree to differ!

• We live at the bottom of a valley so it can get pretty cold here but we are in one of the driest parts of the country. I am looking to fan train along the fence and it will be sheltered from the northerly winds. I was lucky enough to find a plant that was roughly a fan shape to begin with! Thank you both for your replies.