London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
7 messages
07/06/2013 at 13:34

I have a query about foxgloves, but I must ramble on first. This is my first forum post so I am not aware of etiquette yet! I have a tiny 12 by 14 ish feet garden, all paved, so everything is in pots. I enthusiastically grow a multitude of herbs, some vegetables, mange tout, runnerbeans and tomatoes. I also have some flowers. I was given the rather magnificent flowering foxgloves; 8 plants in 4 large pots. i made the most dreadful of mistakes of googling the foxglove. Well... the hysterical rantings left me running for the hills. So sensible advice please....As everything is cheek by jowl in my garden am I putting anyone in danger by having the foxgloves  close to the edibles. Also the lovely pollinators visit everything, should this be a worry. I have not been concerned before and I knew they were poisonous. However to believe the google search I feel fortunate to have made it this far and that to merely breathe in the same air as the evil foxglove is lethal. I do have children but they are teenagers and rarely venture out into the garden. 

Thank you

07/06/2013 at 13:44

Foxgloves are only dangerous if you eat them.

So long as no one mistakes them for cabbage you should be all right. All foxgloves contain digitalis glycosides such as digoxin and digitoxin in the leaves.  This affects the heart in mammals. 

Bees love them and the pollen doesn't affect insects.

Foxgloves come up as self setters in my veg beds. I just move them to the flower beds.

07/06/2013 at 13:48

Hi reb, welcome. There's always someone out there ready to cause alarm and despondency.  Lots of garden plants would make us ill if we ate them so we don't eat them.

07/06/2013 at 19:19

hiya reb and warm welcome.  glad to have you on board

dont worry about the negatives....mostly exaggerated....about growing foxgloves.  im in cornwall and wild foxgloves are everywhere and i do grow a few and they are near my veg patch. I've no worries whatsoever about growing them near my veg.  they are lovely plants

sounds like you are making the most of your limited space

07/06/2013 at 19:27

Don't worry, I have lots of foxgloves and I'm still going strong!  Just don't add them to your salads.

07/06/2013 at 19:37

Hiya reb - another foxglove lover here - and I've been loving them since I was three and my granny showed me how to put them on my fingers and run around being a fairy (fox gloves = fairy folk's gloves).  She would then call me indoors to eat my lunch, and I probably didn't wash my hands and probably neither had she.  Amazingly enough she lived to 89 and I'm retiring later this year   (I talk about it quite a lot - you'll probably get bored with it before I do).  We have foxgloves popping up all over the place in this garden, plus there are the posh ones I sow from seed.  We have them pop up in the veg plot - some I've transplanted elsewhere and some I've left and they're just coming into flower amongst the broad beans and they look lovely (and they attract the bees to pollenate the beans).  I've got some in the herb bed too, but believe it or not we can tell the difference so we don't pick them and put them in our soup.

The way some people go on about poisonous plants it's amazing the human race is still here!

You'll all be fine - but tell your teenagers that if they don't pick their clothes up off the floor and put them in the washing bin, you'll make them some Foxglove Soup

07/06/2013 at 19:46

Fantastic, thank you all everso much. They stay where they are then and in the future I know where to come for advice. 

Google smoogle...

Thanks 

email image
7 messages