London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
9 messages
15/03/2014 at 10:46

Hi  I normally cut back my fuschias end of March but this year I have lots of new growth on the stems.  Do I leave this or should I still cut back?

15/03/2014 at 10:55

I always cut mine right back to encourage new growth.

15/03/2014 at 11:01

Still should be fine to do so. I even had buds forming on mine but still cut it back hard just last week as in theory they should still be atleast semi-dormant

15/03/2014 at 11:02

thanks....I will cut back then.

15/03/2014 at 11:19

Hi again,   can I take cutting from the growth I cut off

15/03/2014 at 11:33
Depends how long the shoots are. I always put new growth cuttings in a small cup of water and let them get on with rooting.
15/03/2014 at 22:43

Been fairly ruthless today (for me) and cut mine back. They do seem to be easy to root from cuttings. Got a few that had the jam jar with water treatment and they are growing

16/03/2014 at 12:06
Pauline Parrott wrote (see)

Hi again,   can I take cutting from the growth I cut off

It would be a shame not to really! I personally can never resist taking cuttings and fuchsias are incredibly easy to root either in water or in soil with a polythene bag over it.

16/03/2014 at 20:32

Perhaps I have mentioned this before.  Fuchsias are among the easiest of plants to propagate. Taking cuttings.  No need to cut just below a leaf joint.  Even the smallest piece of stem can be used.  If running short on material.  Take atypical cutting, stem with at least two leaves.  Cut the stem in half lengthways.  You now have two cuttings each with a single leaf.  If you find getting cuttings to root in water, ok, but honestly, they do root well in the usual way.  If you want to experiment.  Sometimes parts of the plant might get damaged.  Just sever it from the main plant, even if it now looks like a seperate plant, stick it in a pot.  Due to lack of space, I often stick cuttings around the edge of the pot containing the original.  Should you wish to try growing standards or haf standards.  Select a shoot that has three leaves at the tip.  Don't ask me why three leaves are better than two, as I have produced standards using two and three leaved cuttings.  I have to admit.  The three-leaved cutting does tend to get going faster.

email image
9 messages