London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
9 messages
21/04/2014 at 08:02

I have small bite holes around the outside of my Rhododendron leaves.  Having looked at various online forums I seem to have established that it's an animal that enjoys a night picknick!.  But how can I really get rid of this animal and save the leaves from being further attacked?  I live in Switzerland and find it not always possible to get the same products as in England (or Australia) so would therefore have to resort to a 'natural' form of a fighter.  Any suggestions would, as usual, be greatly appreciated.

21/04/2014 at 08:11

Possum, can you post a pic on here to show us the damage - can't remember whether you've posted pics on here before - if you haven't and don't know how to do it give us a shout 

21/04/2014 at 09:15
I would put pepper around the plant or get one of the animal deterrants, hopfully that will do the job
27/04/2014 at 10:54

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43764.jpg?width=514&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43763.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Hi Dovefromabove.....

here are a couple of pictures I have taken of my plant.  The translation of the possible animal that I have been told by neighbours that could be causing it is a otiorhynchus?!  Any solutions for deterring this animal would be wonderful and very much appreciated.  The same is also appearing on my Prunus lusitanica (photos attached)

08/05/2014 at 20:57

Can anyone help me on this one??

08/05/2014 at 21:27

I googled that name and it is a genus of weevils...

I have no experience of this but hopefully someone will.

08/05/2014 at 23:13

Victoria.  You are probably correct.  However might I suggest.  Yes! damaged leaves can spoil the looks of a plant, but no leaves will be worse.  Chompings from leaves are not all that fateful.  OK for the fastiious gardener, you can wander around all day with the insecticde spray to hand.  The majority of gardeners are also wildlife and nature lovers.  Look.  So a few leaves get the love bite form some crazy bug.  On the food scale.  Some feathery winged bird, is searching fo a meal, perhaps many meals to raise a family.  Might I respectfully suggest.  Leave the bugs alone.  Be more interested in the viral diseases that can attack your plants.  Next year.  New leaves.  Life threatening viral infections.  Perhaps, next year.  No plant.  No offence meant by this post. Kindest regards.  Mike

09/05/2014 at 10:35

hi Dovefromabove

I live in the uk in the midlands and I to have this problem and after looking around we came to the conclusion it was leaf cutting bee. next year I will cover mine with a fleece to stop them getting to it until they have moved on .hope this helps

09/05/2014 at 20:11

Actually the leaf cutting bee is so interesting to watch.  It lands on a leaf and virtually pinions itself via it's hind legs.  Then using it's body similar to how we would use a compass, it almost goes full circle and away it goes with material for it's nest.  The damage to the rhododendron leaves do not look so skilfully cut in my opinion. Plus the damage is of all shapes and sizes.  Just a bit of useless information.

email image
9 messages