Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Holes on Rhododendron leaves

Possum3Possum3 Posts: 19

I have small bite holes around the outside of my Rhododendron leaves.  Having looked at various online forums I seem to have established that it's an animal that enjoys a night picknick!.  But how can I really get rid of this animal and save the leaves from being further attacked?  I live in Switzerland and find it not always possible to get the same products as in England (or Australia) so would therefore have to resort to a 'natural' form of a fighter.  Any suggestions would, as usual, be greatly appreciatedimage.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Possum, can you post a pic on here to show us the damage - can't remember whether you've posted pics on here before - if you haven't and don't know how to do it give us a shout image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117
    I would put pepper around the plant or get one of the animal deterrants, hopfully that will do the jobimage
  • Possum3Possum3 Posts: 19

Hi Dovefromabove.....

here are a couple of pictures I have taken of my plant.  The translation of the possible animal that I have been told by neighbours that could be causing it is a otiorhynchus?!  Any solutions for deterring this animal would be wonderful and very much appreciated.  The same is also appearing on my Prunus lusitanica (photos attached)

• Possum3Possum3 Posts: 19

Can anyone help me on this one??

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

I googled that name and it is a genus of weevils...

I have no experience of this but hopefully someone will.

Wearside, England.
  • hi Dovefromabove

I live in the uk in the midlands and I to have this problem and after looking around we came to the conclusion it was leaf cutting bee. next year I will cover mine with a fleece to stop them getting to it until they have moved on .hope this helps