Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lupins from seed

Can you grow lupins from seed please, some of my lupin flowers have died and left what looks like seed pods where the flowers where, are these seeds? can I plant them ? if so what do I do, thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Caroline, yes you can but you must let the seeds ripen first.  Leave the flowering stalk on the plant until the pods turn brown, then cut them off and you can collect the seed by opening the pods.  You can sow them straight away if you have a coldframe to overwinter the young plants in, or save them and sow in February in small pots on a windowsill indoors, or March outdoors.  Soak the seeds for 24 hours before sowing. Overwintered plants will flower in the summer, but those sown in March may not flower until the next year.  The flowers may not look like those on the original plant, especially if that was an F1 hybrid variety.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks a lot Bob, i will now take off the flowers that have turned brown and save thenm somewhere until february and then sow them indoors as you say.

• trifid housetrifid house Posts: 100

i find the best time to plant them is from now to end september so they are strong enough to flower next year. I planted seeds this february and have lovely young plants but they will not flower until next year. I keep summer/autumn planted seedlings in a cool greenhouse/ sheltered coldframe for the winter as they do not like frosts to much but they dont need a lot of heat over the winter either. good luck they are worth it.

• Thanks trifid house, I will do just that as I am so impatient planting the seeds appeals to me, I dont have a green house but I will keep them in the spare bedroom on the windersill, i did that with sweetpea seeds last year and they are flowering wonderfully now.

• Watch out for mice - I once had a whole sowing fail when some creature dug up and ate all the seeds. I now sow them earlier so that they germinate in the polytunnel where my resident black cat is on guard! Autumn sowing is great but our winters regularly hit -15° (this year -20°) so I tend to start earlier!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Bob, My lupins look an unsightly mess at the moment as all the flowers have gone and made way to masses of seed pods. You say not to cut the seed pods off until they have ripened and turned brown. Could I not cut them off and lay them in the sunshine to ripen and dry off please?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

If you want the seed to sow, you must leave them on the plant to ripen.

If you just want to tidy the plant up,cut off all the spike and dispose of.

• mic Brownmic Brown Posts: 1

Hello, ive collected some Lupin seeds from a friend, but they have not turned brown like you have suggested, are they useless? 

• BramBram Posts: 1

How deep do you sow the seeds?