London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
5 messages
09/12/2012 at 12:00

Hi all,

Can you advise how to protect my phormiums over the winter and now the frosts are upon us. I have done some internet research but the advice seems contradictory. Some sites say they are ok over the winter and other sites regail terrible stories of frost damaged plants never to recover.

Would be grateful as always for your expert advice 

09/12/2012 at 12:07

They go through a lot of winters with no problem but last winter finished off my Phormium tenax which I'd always thought hardier than the pretty leaved P. cookianum   cultivars. How big are yours? Could they be potted up and brought under cover? 

09/12/2012 at 12:27

I think they can cope with dry cold, it's cold and wet that kills them off. There are some huge ones in the quad at Norwich Art School and they've survived years and years of snow and frost - I think it's down to the fact that their roots are in layers of ancient ruins. If your soil is well drained I would think they'll be ok except in the most exceptional winters - if we get one of those then there's lots of things that'll succumb 

09/12/2012 at 13:03

One thing that you can do is to tie up the leaves which will protect the crown. Then if it gets really cold drape them with some fleece overnigt.

20/12/2012 at 21:27

Thanks all. Think I'll err on the side of caution and wrap them snuggly.

email image
5 messages