London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
23/02/2014 at 16:02

My girlfriend brought me back Lupins from the pound shop. They are a bag of soil with roots and shoots in. It says on the pack to plant them at 7cm, I was just wondering should I bury the whole thing under soil or shoud some of the shoots be seeing sunlight. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

23/02/2014 at 16:22

I'd keep the shoots in daylight Jack, but it may not make too much of a difference if they're very small. Keep an eye out for slugs/snails and aphids - they all love lupins! 

23/02/2014 at 16:27

Yes I'd let the shoots just peek out - I'd pot them up in pots for now and put them in a sheltered place outside -  it'll make it easier to keep an eye out for slugs on the new tender shoots - maybe even spread some sharp sand over the surface of the compost, slugs don't like it  - then plant them out when they're bigger.

Nice to get the under gardener involved - I'm training mine up too 

23/02/2014 at 16:29

Ah, thank you! I seem to have large amounts of slugs and snails in my garden, I'm sure most gardens do, I'll have to keep an eye out.

23/02/2014 at 16:32

Ah thank you! I'll try potting them first then.

23/02/2014 at 16:34

Such good advice on this forum, I've learnt more in a couple of days on here, than I have trying to work stuff out by searching on google for weeks.

23/02/2014 at 16:39

It's definitely the best way Jack. Especially when you have loads of things to identify in a mature garden like that. People here have the experience and you can't get that on google! I've had so much help here since I joined, and it's nice to give something back whenever possible, though I don't have anything like the knowledge that lots of people here have 

23/02/2014 at 16:47

Yes, it's brilliant! I imagine it will be a while before I have any worthwhile knowledge. You seem to know a lot really.

This is a good time of year also, everything in the garden seems to be changing by the day.

23/02/2014 at 19:13

Yes pot up ASAP.  Keep shoots buried except for tips.  They will grow fast so will need potting on again in few weeks.  Pot on again and again until in 2, ideally 3 litre, pots.  Then plant out in late spring for superb summer flowerimg from large plants.  Works for me.  

23/02/2014 at 19:15

ooh! want some lupins and that's my price range!!

23/02/2014 at 19:22

I grow quite a few.  Have some in front of a lavendar hedge in my veg patch.  They flower majestically from late spring.  Yellow, white, blue pink and red ....ostentatious flowering but so eye catching.  A "hedge" of them is lovely. After flowerimg I lift and divide and pot up 

23/02/2014 at 20:02

I never have any luck with lupins-always seem to be eaten!

23/02/2014 at 20:08

It's why I no longer bother with them either Yvonne! Or delphiniums - they're both slug dinner heaven here- a combination of too much rain and therefore too much soft new growth! 

23/02/2014 at 21:02

Are Lupins poisonous?  I like them to look at but for some reason never bought them and can't remember why??

I might go the our local shop and get some.  Was it actually THE Poundshop or another Poundshop (there are lots about!).  I think I have also seen some in Wilkos.

Jack, you are right with your comment about learning.  I have books and have googled but like you have learned more in my short time on here and everyone is so friendly.  I am finding now though that google is also getting better because I look up proper names of plants that I didn't know before, so the forum has double benefits

23/02/2014 at 21:11

The seeds are poisonous Tracey but then so are lots of plants. 

23/02/2014 at 21:16

Well, seen as I need to fill a border for as little as I can, I may go on a Lupin hunt.  Am I right in thinking they are perennials?

Thanks Mrs G

23/02/2014 at 21:46

Agree with the above - plant with the shoots at or near the surface. Lupins grow large and I find slugs not to eat them, if at all. Their biggest enemy are greenfly. You can literally run a glove over the stems and get hundreds of them.

23/02/2014 at 21:50

And the lupin aphid is especially damaging...and large.  A chemical or soap spray before the spikes form is effective though

23/02/2014 at 23:02
Verdun wrote (see)

And the lupin aphid is especially damaging...and large.  A chemical or soap spray before the spikes form is effective though

Ah, forgot that they have a specific aphid and yes they are larger (makes a yuck face). I will try  to remember to spray them before the spike grows as hundreds of aphids are just not pleasant.

23/02/2014 at 23:08

Kindergarten.  If it's white.  Just keep it barely covered.  If it's green.  Expose it.  As my friend the meerkat says.  Simples.

1 to 20 of 35 messages