London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
6 messages
16/02/2013 at 22:06

Hello, 1st post

We moved to our house late last summer so only got to move our pot plants to our new garden, I want to get started on the garden early in the spring and I am aiming for a green tropical look with lots of Bamboo and other tropical plants. Our new garden has raised beds which have never had any plants in just very clay soil a weed barrier and then bark, I planted a few plants last year and they seem to be ok, however these where only cheap plants, I want to transfer some of my bamboo and other plants to these borders, how best should I go about this please?

16/02/2013 at 22:29

In order to improve the structure of clay soil, you can add organic matter like compost and grit/sharp sand, but it is a lot of hard work.  Clay soil is naturally very fertile so no need to add fertiliser.  One problem with weed membranes is that while they do stop weeds growing they also prevent the normal process of worms taking down leaves, and other organic matter which collects on the surface, into the soil.  Personally, I'd remove the barrier and put a few inches of compost on top of the soil as a surface mulch.  Over time this will become incorporated into soil by worms and as you plant things.  As long as you replace the surface mulch with more compost after planting, and as it is gradually taken down by worms, it will help to keep weeds at bay.  "Lazy mans" gardening if you like, but a very natural process!

17/02/2013 at 13:01

Cheers Bob, I will remove the weed layer thanks, I think the last owner wanted a maintainence free garden. I will remove the bark and turn the soil over as the clay soil is very compacted.

17/02/2013 at 14:05

Hi Conbrue. Did the last owner move when he realised there was no such thing as a maintenence free garden?

17/02/2013 at 15:07

As a disabled gardener my family thought it would be good if we moved to a bungalow

They found one that looked perfect

On moving in we found the wettest clay garden possible

So built a raised bed for our veggies

Still have one problem - once on the remaining lawned area - my wheelchair sunk ito the wet clay, making it impossile to move

Thinking of concrete and painting it green - lol

Seriously, has anyone any ideas that could help making it possile to manovre a wheelchair over the lawn

Many thx for your time

17/02/2013 at 15:27

The raised beds I think I can handle, but as Smurfing says above my grass is a mess. I am going to start a new topic abiut how best to go about sorting my grass.

Cheers

email image
6 messages