Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Unknown tree in the garden. Help!

EdlontonEdlonton Posts: 59

I have no idea of the name of this tree. Any idea will be very welcome. Thank you!imageimage

• daisy doodaisy doo Posts: 90

Its a sorbus or commonly called a rowan. Theres alot of different types with different berry colours in the autumn. Creamy white blossom now. 

Lovely trees but not really suitable for a very small garden. Great for birds though

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

What lovely photographs image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 845

Looks like an ash (Fraxinus excelsior) to me.

Is it a monster?  The leaves will be fatter and larger on the ash than a rowan.  My ash tree has only recently come into leaf, the rowans earlier, and both rowans are in flower with their corymb like flowers.

Have you got others seeding around it?  They seed all over the place.  Are the young ones green/blue ish?

Last edited: 26 May 2016 20:13:45

• EdlontonEdlonton Posts: 59

It has only come into leaf recently, a month ago perhaps and the leaves are still growing. They haven't fully grown yet.

Thank you Ladybird4. I took the pictures this afternoon when it was sunny. Nice blue sky in the background isn't it?

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,145

I'm with Wayside. Looks like my Ash tree(s). Mine were quite late in coming into leaf compared to other trees in the local area. I guess that's a trait of the specimen. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

a close up of the twigs and leaves and one of the bark would be good. Has it flowered?

In the sticks near Peterborough

Perhaps a sense of scale would help, and perhaps a close up shot of the trunk.  I find Ashes are sycamore like in trunk stature, rowans are darker on the trunk, in your picture the trunk looks more rowan like.

Last edited: 26 May 2016 20:43:10

Hello Nutcutlet, no it hasn;t flowered at all and the leaves are still growing. It started a month ago or three weeks ago.

I always thought rowans were suitable for smallish gardens, but a gardener said to me that naturally they want to be large.

This link has both an ash and rowan identification guide:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-8zsjbc

Please find attached a few more pictures including the trunk