Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Winter pansies.

Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Hi everyone , about a fortnight ago I bought some winter pansies . About 5 trays in total to fill the baskets at the back of the house. I used new compost and replaced the liners and planted in the usual way . There are now about 6 plants which have totally collapsed yet the others are strong and healthy. Before planting I checked the roots - nice healthy white ones and also checked for beasties so I know they were good plants when I bought them but this has never happened before and it's quite random - 1 or maybe 2 plants in the baskets.  Just wondering if anyone has any ideas ? They are '' Morpheus '' by the way.

Thanks.

• Hi Jean, for the last two years I've bought the winter violas and they seem healthy at first then get brown spots on their leaves then eventually die. I thought it was some sort of fungal disease.

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Hi Pam, Its a bit of a mystery. There are no signs of disease and it virtually happened overnight . I'm beginning to wonder whether it was a whole tray of plants as there are about 6 that have collapsed, the others are fine.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Jean-did you buy them locally-is it worth going back to them?

I was thinking about that Geoff.  I bought them from our local G.C. I have never had any problems buying anything from there and have bought '' Morpheus '' every year . They seem to flower forever and last year's were still flowering until May.  Just a bit strange but I did the math - 6 to a tray so maybe there was something wrong with them. May bite the bullet and just buy another tray. As I said it's just a random thing - I've got 6 baskets and  it's just 1 or 2 in some of them, not the entire basket.

I would go back with one basket with a poorly one in it-chances are they will replace

Thinking I may just let it go this time and just buy another tray . I know they would probally replace them but  if it happens again , I will.

Put it down to one of the plant worlds' greatest mysteries.

They might be interested in your feedback-it could be a diseased batch and they will go back to the supplier?

Geoff , I didn't think of that. You are right, think I'll take your advice.  6 are affected so it suggests to me a full tray. I'll take 2 baskets with me. Wasn't going to go today but will pop up there now. It's not far . I will let you know what they say .

Geoff - it's not often you're wrong but you are right again ! Went back to G.C. armed with 2 of the afore mentioned baskets and explained the problem and was immediately asked what trays I bought - polystyrene or plastic . Told him it was polystyrene and he took me over to the bench and showed me the rest of the pansies that had been affected which was all of them , not just the Morpheus , all of which were in polystyrene. Turns out they had been purchased from a grower called Ambroses and they had to be binned. Showed me all the ones they had grown themselves and they were in plastic trays and were all fine and dandy. He said he would be speaking to his brother tomorrow about it and said Ambroses were the dogs' XXXXXXXX and they have never had any issues with them before , which I agree with as I've bought pansies from them for years.

I got a full tray of new pansies and an apology. image

They were in the plastic trays.

Yay-I am right -self awarded star and brownie pointsimage