London (change)
10 messages
06/10/2013 at 20:53

Hi all,

First post and very novice gardener but want to try and get my garden in order.

I'm looking for advice on if there are any nice looking / bright coloured plants that would be good in tubs / hanging baskets.for over the winter and into spring.  Just wanted to keep a bit of colour in the garden over winter.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Frant101

06/10/2013 at 21:07

Winter pansies, polyanthus make a perfect winter display, try adding a few bulbs into the pots for early spring colour, Monty Don did an Iris reticulata display on GW, catch up on iplayer, full of good stuff.

06/10/2013 at 21:11

Winter Flowering Heathers, Variegated Ivy and Primulas are lovely plants in Winter. 

08/10/2013 at 19:47
08/10/2013 at 19:52
Many thanks for the replies i think i will give the flowering heathers and polyanthus a go, will def dig out the monty don clip

Thanks again
08/10/2013 at 20:47

Just done my front garden planters.I Iused dark pink heathers green skimmers pinky-red leaved heucheras, ivy,some greeny grases and pink and red pansies.I was amazed when a neibour knocked on my door to say they looked stunning. 

I was stunned and you could say I was also tickled pink.

19/01/2016 at 07:38
I've put a lovely evergreen with red berries in one of my pots and it looks smashing. I think it's called a gultheria.
19/01/2016 at 08:55

I have one of those iron 'manger' type baskets on the North facing front wall with green'n'cream euonymus and carex Evergold for a bit of height. I add bulbs, pansies, polyanthus etc. You don't seem to see these as often as primroses these days, but they are useful for the extra little bit of height that helps them show up against the foliage. In summer it is still in full shade but there are still things that will grow happily there - mimulus is one good one, and surprisingly, nemesias. I grew one a good few years ago that was lovely, think it was Blue Gem, such a pretty, summer sky blue, but haven't been able to find any seeds of it since.

19/01/2016 at 16:56

Our front garden is all winter/spring flowering heathers, looking good from November to May, when they get a haircut.

24/01/2016 at 16:35

I use Polyanthus, spring bulbs and Primroses for colour in my baskets

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/99252.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

on these grey days

email image
10 messages