London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
16 messages
22/09/2012 at 15:36
How's this for not thinking ahead!! Bought some alliums from T&M which arrived last week, however, I cant get into my borders to plant them because too much growth abounds from existing herbaceous and other planting and I don't want (or need to) cut anything back to enable me to get them in the ground. Should I simply pot them up into plastic pots and then transfer them to open ground when there are a few more gaps when things have died down. Assume they will be happy to be moved late autumn/ winter (assuming its not freezing cold or very wet). Ive got about 60 bulbs in all. :-/
22/09/2012 at 15:41

Yes, that'll be fine.

22/09/2012 at 15:43

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go to-I would be more inclined to store the bulbs in a cool dry place for a few weeks and then plant in the soil -there is still plenty of time for planting

22/09/2012 at 16:04
You could try doing both. If the later directly planted ones also come into bloom later, you've extended your flowering season!
22/09/2012 at 16:42

Owing to drought, I planted most of mine very late last year and they did fine - even the ones I forgot and found in the garage in February when I did a tidy up.  These last were late flowering but did OK so just store your bulbs somewhere cool, dark and dry till you have more space to get them in the ground.

22/09/2012 at 19:15
I usually pot them up. Done that again this year. The advantage of potting up is that you can plant them out exactly,where you want them in spring. I have daffs, tulips etc in the ground so,it's hard to know exactly,where they are right now. When their growth shows I can then plant my alliums
22/09/2012 at 20:37

I'm definitely going to try potting alliums this year. It sounds such a good idea. I hadn't realized you could do this and then place them where you want in the Spring. But what size pots do I need? How deep do I plant them? I know they are all different sizes, but I'm talking about allium schubertii and other large types.

22/09/2012 at 21:30
Berkeley I'm doing this with purple sensation 3 to 1 litre pot. I put bulbs half way down. You can then put pot in ground for them to flower and move out again or plant directly into soil. I think purple sensation is the best and most impressive allium
23/09/2012 at 14:21

Thanks for the advice. It's great to get practical, detailed answers to queries!

23/09/2012 at 17:16

Last year in January I bought some which were reduced in B&Q and planted in the garden and they grew great this year

23/09/2012 at 17:36
christopher2 wrote (see)
Berkeley I'm doing this with purple sensation 3 to 1 litre pot. I put bulbs half way down. You can then put pot in ground for them to flower and move out again or plant directly into soil. I think purple sensation is the best and most impressive allium

I do this with spring flowering bulbs - narcissii etc, just slot the pot into border gaps, whip out when they're over. Some people might think it's a bit of a cheat, but makes good use of limited space in borders.

23/09/2012 at 19:12
Figrat, I used to feel this was cheating too but it's not. It's making maximum use of plants we have and the space we have. It's what we do with annuals after all. Christopher Lloyd did this a lot nd what a great plantsman he was
17/01/2013 at 12:36

Is it too late to plant alliums?? (January)  I bought some earlier but haven't had the chance to plant them ..... they are large bulbs and need to be planted 8" down which will be hard in my clay soil (especially now it's covered in snow).  What should I do with them??

17/01/2013 at 12:45
I hadn't realised you could do this, I have heavy clay soil which is currently solid, if I am too late now I will be doing this next year .
17/01/2013 at 13:13
Rozzy wrote (see)

Is it too late to plant alliums?? (January)  I bought some earlier but haven't had the chance to plant them ..... they are large bulbs and need to be planted 8" down which will be hard in my clay soil (especially now it's covered in snow).  What should I do with them??

You need to plant them-they will not keep-if you cannot get them in the ground pot them up as was suggested previously

17/01/2013 at 13:30
I shall buy bulbs next year then and pot up ,
email image
16 messages