London (change)
Today 20°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
21 to 32 of 32 messages
06/07/2012 at 13:47

Hi Twirly,

We have had problems with J Parker and now use Thompson Morgan have got ordered plenty of plants no problem better condition when you receive them & they seam to grow much quicker. Sorry you have had a problem with J Parker keep your fingers crossed it will be sorted out in the end  

Regards Mike   

06/07/2012 at 14:33

I'm a newcomer to the Forum, it is fantastic.  I agree with adverse comments on Parkers.  I was always very happy with Thompson & Morgan but changed my mind three seasons ago.  Very long delivery on some things not at all in accordance with original quote.  On two different occasions plugs were so dry they had fallen out of their tray in transit but most disappointing of all a particular clematis that I had waited ages for was so tiny and arrived so late it was not worth buying. I gave it plenty of TLC but no way would it grow.  I telephoned T&M three times, the first for advice as to what to do with it when I was told that I should read the instructions that came with it (I had) but they could suggest nothing more and twice to complain - I didn't get anywhere at. all which was very disappointing, I felt they could not care less.  I have a mobility problem so going to centres is not always easy but I now get friends to shop for me.

07/07/2012 at 11:53

I have given up on mail order after many disappointments. Stick to local nurseries or garden centres if you can. My local branches of Sainsbury's and Wilkinson have had some nice plug plants this year. Wilkininsons used to have Plug-U-Grow packs which were good value but seemingly they no longer stock them - pity.

07/07/2012 at 12:07

Talking of plants at supermarkets we have a branch of Aldi very hear to me and they have some brilliant plants almost ready for planting out, geraniums particularly good.  They also have bushes and sometimes treets. The have had bush and standard lavender and brilliant olive trees, not huge but excellent value. I have just got what looks to be a very healthy vine (white grapes), had hoped to get a fig but they had all gone by the time I got there.  Drawbacks are (a) you can never guarantee what they will have and (b) once delivered they never water them so plants are virtually dead. When they are good they are very very good.

07/07/2012 at 12:15
Gerrington wrote (see)

I have given up on mail order after many disappointments. Stick to local nurseries or garden centres if you can. My local branches of Sainsbury's and Wilkinson have had some nice plug plants this year. Wilkininsons used to have Plug-U-Grow packs which were good value but seemingly they no longer stock them - pity.

Wilkinsons seem to have cut right back on gardening stuff this -no large bags of compost-very few plants or bedding-mind you the way they looked after them and the number they must have reduced or thrown away it is no surprise-used to get a few bargains in the rescue section-they have probably saved themselves lodasamoney this year

07/07/2012 at 12:58

My dealings with T&M have always been positive. Their plants have always thrived and they do some excellent on line bargains of which they e mail me details. Also ordered plants from TV shopping QVC and Garden Bargains on Ideal World Have found both of these excellent.

07/07/2012 at 19:15

I've been rather disappointed with T&M - recently bought penstemons on offer - 2 of the 5 dead in 24 hours.  Also fell for the offer of £100 of perennials for £9.99 - It was a waste of £9.99, if I'd paid £100 I'd have been livid.  Would like to buy everything from a nursery/garden centre but the ones local to us are v. poor.

18/07/2012 at 14:24

I did an order with my friend with Parkers Wholesale in her name. I dont want to bother my friend but Im not happy with the candelabra primulas they were supposed to be mixed but have all turned out yellow! I want to complain do you think I could without telling my friend. I know she wouldnt be happy to do it. I was so looking forward to different colours as its only yellow I had

18/07/2012 at 15:36

I have ordered from T & M in the past, everything has been OK, but now look out for the best value mail order. ie free postage, or more plant for your money offers. I have ordered from Jersey Plants from time to time. Last year one lot of plugs that I had ordered from them arrived in a terrible state. Who ever had packed them had omitted the inner packaging, and they all arrived in a jumble.(must have been a Friday) However after one phone call I was offered replacement or a gift voucher with no quibbles at all. Everything else I have ordered has been fine. Having said that I only order plug plants ie bedding begonias, violas and busy lizzie's, no large plants.

I try to buy locally, but sometimes you just can't get what you want and have to look on the Internet. I have had some wonderful plants from independent growers on eBay.

13/12/2013 at 14:51

After recently seeking good advice/recs. regarding online nurseries to use, this old thread has given me a good insight into those to avoid/beware of too!

13/12/2013 at 15:07

Lucy you might find the link below of use as it is where we "promote" the good guys who have given members good service and produce.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/the-good-guys/175670.html

13/12/2013 at 15:20

Thanks Clarington - yes have been pointed to this one, am working through the 'good guys'

email image
21 to 32 of 32 messages