London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
7 messages
10/08/2012 at 08:10

I have had a climbing rose (yellow coloured flowers) in the garden now for 2 years and have yet to get a flower.  Vigorous growth from it but just no flowers.  It is against a wall which receives a fair amount of sunshine.

10/08/2012 at 09:30

How is it trained? Climbing roses need to have their branches trained horizontally, or you will get upward growth with no flowers.

10/08/2012 at 09:43

Thanks Alina - yeah someone told us this and (fortunately the plant being quite young) we have retrained the branches.  A friend also suggested that it might need pottash as we have had a lot of rain this year

10/08/2012 at 09:58

Are you giving it rose food? That should provide what it needs, but your friend may be right that it needs extra potash because of the rain. You can try giving it some even now to see if it helps, but definitely next spring.

10/08/2012 at 10:07

Haven't really been giving it anything specific up until now - we have other climbing roses (pink) in the garden that are doing really well - but they are older plants.  We have quite heavy clay soil.  Strangely we had a yellow standard rose in our garden which after the first year never flowered again and started to sprout shoots from the step and we eventually took it out.  We now have a 'thing' about yellow roses!!!!

10/08/2012 at 11:14

The shoots on your standard were suckers, and should have been removed. They took the energy from the main rose, and probably stopped it flowering.

It sounds like your soil is very fertile - it may even be too fertile, which (along with the rain) is why you're getting lush growth. I'd definitely try the potash route - you can buy it in boxes from your garden centre. It's part of the Chempak range.

10/08/2012 at 12:13

Thanks Alina.  Yeah I think you are right about the fertility of the soil - we certainly have no problem getting things to grow!!!  Trying to keep the growth under control is the main problem!!!! Will try the potash.

email image
7 messages