Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Continuation of slugs

I was looking for the thread on slugs but can't find it now, there is quite a few subjects on the forum so this is just a continuation of slug probs. I can't bring myself to kill them or snails no matter how much damage they did last year, although I do put that down to all the wet weather we had, hopefully this year the weather will be a lot better, fingers crossed. I have been the garden centre today and bought organic pellets to put around my bedding plants later on when it warms up. They are biogradable so I am hoping they will do the trick. Anyway I will give it a go.

If this doesn't do the trick then I may have to take drastic action.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

There are a number of slug deterrents/killers that do different jobs

This sound like a killer if it is pellets

What are they called?

• SLug Stop , Non Toxic Granules, suitable for organic gardening. children and pets need not be excluded from treated areas.
  • Whenever I go to a garden centre I feel as if I have died and gone to heaven!

http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/slug-stop.aspx

Seems to be barrier-still kills the slugs by sucking the life out of them-not nice for slug-ok for wild lifeimage

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    You could try planting something as a 'sacrifice' near to plants that you don't want damaged. I planted a patch of cheap 50p marigolds next to my Dahlias, the slugs ate the marigolds and largely left the dahlias alone.

I think that sort of works but then you are attracting them to the area rather than repelling-it assumes that marigolds first- dahlias next if not full upimage

• Oh dear I have become a slug murderer!
  • LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    It worked for me last year although it wasn't intentional, I think by the time they found the marigolds they couldn't be bothered to look for anything else. image
  • They use marigolds for quite a few deterents don't they. Well back to the drawing board...thanks guys.

Marigolds are suppose to repel whitefly-that is why some plant near tomatoesimage