London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
20 messages
08/02/2013 at 14:59
I was looking for the thread on slugs but can't find it now, there is quite a few subjects on the forum so this is just a continuation of slug probs. I can't bring myself to kill them or snails no matter how much damage they did last year, although I do put that down to all the wet weather we had, hopefully this year the weather will be a lot better, fingers crossed. I have been the garden centre today and bought organic pellets to put around my bedding plants later on when it warms up. They are biogradable so I am hoping they will do the trick. Anyway I will give it a go.
If this doesn't do the trick then I may have to take drastic action.
08/02/2013 at 15:04

There are a number of slug deterrents/killers that do different jobs

This sound like a killer if it is pellets

What are they called?

08/02/2013 at 15:29
SLug Stop , Non Toxic Granules, suitable for organic gardening. children and pets need not be excluded from treated areas.
08/02/2013 at 15:31
Whenever I go to a garden centre I feel as if I have died and gone to heaven!
08/02/2013 at 15:35

http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/slug-stop.aspx

Seems to be barrier-still kills the slugs by sucking the life out of them-not nice for slug-ok for wild life

08/02/2013 at 15:36
You could try planting something as a 'sacrifice' near to plants that you don't want damaged. I planted a patch of cheap 50p marigolds next to my Dahlias, the slugs ate the marigolds and largely left the dahlias alone.
08/02/2013 at 15:42

I think that sort of works but then you are attracting them to the area rather than repelling-it assumes that marigolds first- dahlias next if not full up

08/02/2013 at 15:42
Oh dear I have become a slug murderer!
08/02/2013 at 15:47
It worked for me last year although it wasn't intentional, I think by the time they found the marigolds they couldn't be bothered to look for anything else.
08/02/2013 at 15:50
They use marigolds for quite a few deterents don't they. Well back to the drawing board...thanks guys.
08/02/2013 at 15:54

Marigolds are suppose to repel whitefly-that is why some plant near tomatoes

08/02/2013 at 16:20

I stopped using the organic slug pellets as having noticed that they disapperared at far too fast a rate for slugs alone I started keeping a watch. Squirrels, small birds, large birds (including a particularly stupid pheasant), and frogs all seemed to think they were an interesting snack. They are not supposed to harm other animals but they can't be good for them!

In the garden at large I don't worry however in the veg patch it's another matter. I find the only thing that really has an impact is manual collection. I pop them into a pot of neat vinegar. Kills them in seconds (helps the concience) and there are no nasty smells to worry about!

Marigolds do seem to act as a draw thus making the blighters easier to collect.

We may win the battle but you can count on it that they will win the war!

08/02/2013 at 16:25
They should make a film called The war of the Slugs. There is a film called the blob.. Pretty scary when I was younger.
08/02/2013 at 16:29
I have a sharp pair of scissors
Pam. lL x
08/02/2013 at 21:57

have any of you  tried Nemitodes

09/02/2013 at 08:30

I'm with lilylouise - scissors.

09/02/2013 at 08:42
Marigolds would deter me I still can't snip
09/02/2013 at 13:10

last year an idea was put forward that if you mixed flour and water to a gloopy consistancyand put in a plastic container that the slugs would get stuck in in it  ,has anyone tried it?

09/02/2013 at 13:13
I have tried the beer traps
09/02/2013 at 14:59

got half decent results from beer traps and flour traps last year , trying grapefruit this year and yesterday i used Nobble slug killer on the new raised beds trying to get to them before they mate as advised, i will post the results later in the year as same as everybody else we had millions and im not kidding when we took the allotment there was a shed door left flat on the grass when i lifted it we had as i posted last year around 200 assorted slugs and im seriously thinking of putting an old one i have back on the path between the beds on the allotment to see if it works on a regular basis, ill post the result you never know unless you try,good luck

Alan4711

email image
20 messages