London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
6 messages
08/08/2014 at 17:33

I used to have an area of about 50m square with paths through it which were full of ragged robin, cow parsley and buttercup but the last few years it has only come up with docks and lots of them. I sprayed the are off with roundup and once everything had died down replanted it in the spring with astilbe, troilius and iris etc but in amongst them is a huge number of docks and course grass so much so that I can barely see the plants I put in. I assume that I will have to dig everything out if I can find them. Does anyone have any suggestions as I am on heavy clay which is at the moment solid so not a hope of digging them all out and anyway the area is huge.

08/08/2014 at 17:40

Hire a knapsack sprayer and walk the area, spraying the individual dock plants with glyphosate and removing the seeding spikes at the same time being careful not to scatter seeds).   I'd also spray off the coarse grasses.

08/08/2014 at 22:43

also on heavy clay, I use Roundup Gel and just swipe each plant on a couple of leaves. It's working for me since we moved here two years ago.

08/08/2014 at 22:43

i know it's a big area, but the gel goes a long way

08/08/2014 at 23:07
Agree with Dove. However. Docks have very long and tough tap roots. If I may suggest. Follow Doves suggestion. That will knock em down and give you some breathing space. If at all possible, prevent them from seeding. Docks are a real manace, especially in paddocks. Both they and ragwort can cause so much harm to horses.
10/08/2014 at 12:05

Thanks all I will try though there are hundreds of them. I think I will have to tackle one area at a time and just keep pulling any flower heads off the other areas so they cannot seed.

email image
6 messages