London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
41 to 48 of 48 messages
05/08/2013 at 17:58

wow, what a transformation!

did you also put a new fence?

can't wait to get a quote from our builder for the wall!

then the roots and plant cannot come from underneath and between the fence anymore!

at the end where the fence ajoins, I will take great care nothing starts to come over in the first place!

11/08/2013 at 18:34

I note the good advice to use the right concentration of the glyphosphate when treating bindweed, not too much or it won't make the roots and not too little or it wont do anything. However i've got ultra 3000 and cant see on the label what the concentation is supposed to be, even on the internet on their website i can't find out.

someone mentioned 2 percent maximum concentration as the maximum, does that refer to ultra 3000 or is that a more concentrated product. 

sorry if i've missed something obvious on the label

ta dave.

11/08/2013 at 18:37

Keeblatt - the neighbours replaced 'their' fence, we replaced the fence at the bottom and the other side of the garden, and had a retaining wall rebuilt because the ivy had taken all the moisture out of the bricks and mortar and they just crumbled.

11/08/2013 at 19:07

gledhillda, the Rounup product I have is Roundup Pro Biactive.  There are several applications for various situations. I do not know the product ultra 3000.

If what you have is Agricultural Roundup I think the rate is 25ml in 1litre of water for a knapsack sprayer.

Might I suggest you check where you bought the product and write the dilution rate on the container with a chinagraph pen.

11/08/2013 at 19:38

gledhillda, I have just Googled 'Dilution rate of Roundup 3000' and all the information is there.  You can download it or there is a picture of the product with the dilution rate on the picture of the label.

12/08/2013 at 16:25

I've got Roundup Tree Stump & Root Killer here, £16 for 250ml ( 17.8p/g ) from Homebase, 360 g/l glyphosate acid.

It says 15ml in 1 litre in a sprayer or 15ml in 5 litres in a watering can for 30m^2 of bindweed, dandelions, docks, ground elder and thistles ( 5.4g/l ) ( 3.2p/m^2 ) ...

... or 20ml in 1 litre in a sprayer or 20ml in 5 litres in a watering can for 30m^2 of brambles, nettles, horsetail, bracken, or beech, sycamore, oak, hazel, willow or ash saplings ( 7.2g/l ) ( 4.27p/m^2 ).

I had some other brand before, which was £18 for a litre of 90g/l ( 20p/g ) and said 45ml per litre in a sprayer ( 4.05g/l ) ( 2.7p/m^2 ).

By the looks of it, you want 4 to 7 grams per litre for spraying, 0.8 to 1.4 grams per litre for the Watering Can Of Doom.

12/08/2013 at 17:34

tx for the tip, its on the internet label as you say but not on the real label at least not my one. i tried before to click on the dilution guide but that didn't work for me. im out and about now putting it trailing it into buckets of 1.5 percent; thanks for that tip above.

07/09/2014 at 11:06

Hi All,

I have to update you on this!

You can't imagine what happened!
Having the bindweed mostly under control with Roundup (thanks for the suggestion!) the problem with the fence started. The fence needs redoing, but I did not want to put up a new fence, the bindweed climbs up and the tenants start to pull on the bindweed breaking up the trellies of the fence again!

Now a wonder has happened!

The property was sold to someone who has a horticultural background!
We discussed the bindweed and Ivy will go and we might replace the fence with a hedge

This is better than Christmas!!!

email image
41 to 48 of 48 messages