Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Honeysuckle mildew problem

Hi all,

I bought a honeysuckle at Hampton Court this year and planted in an open area with good air circulation against a wooden fence. Although it has put out some climbers and has flowered well and now has red berries, I have been battling mildew from the start.

Unfortunately the mildew is winning, so I wondered if there are any last ditch things I can try or do I admit defeat. Pretty much all I have read is that you need to get rid of a plant if mildew has taken hold.

Keeping my fingers well and truly crossed........

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

No, there's no need to get rid of the plant.

Mildew is a signthat it's unhappy as much as anything else. One cause is dryness at the roots (probably not a problem this year) and the other is too much rain.

Gather up the leaves as they fall, and next year, at the first sign of mildew, spray every couple of days with a mix of one part milk to nine parts water until it's clear.

• Thanks for this I will definitely see if we can overcome the pesky mildew next year.

Sad to hear that my plant is feeling unhappy though..... image

• Think I may have found the problem of the unhappy plant - just went out side to take a look and rake up some leaves.....

Discovered that the bark I had put round the base of the plant is absolutely rotten and full of mildew too!! 

I have cleared it all away so the plant might stand a fighting chance with any luck.

• Denny 2Denny 2 Posts: 4

My honeysuckle is right across the fence to the right of my patio doors, an ideal location in that the scent hits the nostrils as soon as you step out to the garden. Every year the plant blooms beautifully and looks healthy then half way through the summer it begins to wilt and look half dead, the leaves all get black spot, turn yellow and drop off.  I have taken on board all suggestions and tips from above, thank you guys. Hopefully the problem will be resolved for next year image

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

How close to the bottom of the fence is it planted? I think you need to plant it about 2 feet out and lean it in towards the fence. Otherwise it will be in the rain shadow of the fence. Honeysuckles need moisture at the roots

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

There's never any need to spray honeysuckle against mildew. Just keep the roots soaked, mulched and fed, it's a tough plant and will recover on its own even from a black spot infection which sometimes follows the powdery mildew. If you have real trouble then prune it back hard in spring, mulch and keep the roots moist, spraying is a waste of time and money.

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

I would agree with you there Dave Morgan. My honeysuckle has its roots on the shade as it scrambles up through a Rugosa shrub

planted on an east facing fence it has finally made it to the sunlight!

The one below I took when pruning  an overgrown one last year, 'layered'  it by the south facing fence but again in the shade, from a Berberis shrub. It's a bit leggy but actually  growing well

hoping it will mingle with the clematis.

Shading the roots and plenty of moisture may be the answer. 

• Denny 2Denny 2 Posts: 4

Thank you for those tips, yes Fleurisa my honeysuckle is planted close to the fence and perhaps that's why it wilts half way through the summer. It is quite established now so I would be reluctant to move it but will now shade the roots and keep them moist and see how it goes. Does this also apply to black spot on roses? I have some lovely climbing roses but they also fall victim to black spots on the leaves which I chop these off when I see them but is there something else I should be doing - advice appreciated  

• I have two honey suckkes, one is fine, the other has mildew again for the 3rd year. I have thinned out made sure it is moist when needed, have cut it right back but it insists in coming back with the mildew. Has no leaves now. Im at wits end

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hello Margaret image

Can you tell us more about the sites where your honeysuckles are planted - sunlight/shade , depth of soil, type of support etc. and the differences between the two.

Some photos would help too. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.