London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
4 messages
03/10/2012 at 14:23

Hi all,

I bought a honeysuckle at Hampton Court this year and planted in an open area with good air circulation against a wooden fence. Although it has put out some climbers and has flowered well and now has red berries, I have been battling mildew from the start.

Unfortunately the mildew is winning, so I wondered if there are any last ditch things I can try or do I admit defeat. Pretty much all I have read is that you need to get rid of a plant if mildew has taken hold.

Keeping my fingers well and truly crossed........

03/10/2012 at 15:57

No, there's no need to get rid of the plant.

Mildew is a signthat it's unhappy as much as anything else. One cause is dryness at the roots (probably not a problem this year) and the other is too much rain.

Gather up the leaves as they fall, and next year, at the first sign of mildew, spray every couple of days with a mix of one part milk to nine parts water until it's clear.

03/10/2012 at 16:15

Thanks for this I will definitely see if we can overcome the pesky mildew next year.

Sad to hear that my plant is feeling unhappy though..... 

03/10/2012 at 16:34

Think I may have found the problem of the unhappy plant - just went out side to take a look and rake up some leaves.....

Discovered that the bark I had put round the base of the plant is absolutely rotten and full of mildew too!! 

I have cleared it all away so the plant might stand a fighting chance with any luck.

email image
4 messages