Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

korean fir tree

I have a Korean fir tree (the conifer with the bright blue, spherical cones). It is slow growing but I know it eventually reaches massive heights. Anyone got suggestions (tried and tested) as to how I can keep it fairly small? Thanks!

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Good, clean, sharp secatuers and patience.  There are good web sites and books about pruning such trees, though as you say, it will take many years to get very large. 

• I have had a Korean Fir for about ten years now and it's almost 13ft tall. Beautiful tree, perfect shape, but we have to keep trimming one side of it as it grows over a path. I was wondering if it would be okay to remove the lower branches to just under half way up the tree, leaving the trunk bare and keeping the top half a perfect shape. Would it harm the tree? It would make such a difference, letting light in yet keeping the symmetrical shape. Any advice welcome.