London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
11 messages
27/09/2012 at 13:59

I ordered an extra plastic compost bin which has turned out to be a lot smaller than my requirements. Every year we have loads of leaves, which I haven't composted before Can I put the autumn leaves we accumulate in the plastic compost bin or are is plastic not suitable for leaf mould? 

27/09/2012 at 14:18

No reason why not- but they take longer to rot down-a lot of people stuff them in dustbin bags make a few holes in the bottom and stick that in an out of the way spot in the garden

Your bin will do the same job

27/09/2012 at 14:33

I would make sure that the top is not covered as the leaves do need to get wet to speed rotting. 

27/09/2012 at 15:07

Another quick & easy 'bin' is 4 broom handles, or similar, as posts with wire netting wound around them. That way the leaves rarely dry out & takes 1-2yrs to get really crumbly IME. I tend to empty out the contents late summer ready for that yrs fall. Have several bags waiting to be used. J.

27/09/2012 at 16:06

the main thing is to keep for a year (with only leaves) and water when it gets dry.

27/09/2012 at 17:06

The length of time it takes is also partly dependent on the species of the leaves. Some can take two or three years to rot down properly.

27/09/2012 at 17:37

Thanks every one.

Leaves will be mainly oak - lovely tree overhangig corner of garden with hawthorn, beech and others thrown in. Will use it with lid off sounds good to me.

Now I have to get a larger compost bin to use for garden waste etc.

27/09/2012 at 17:48
I use 2 builder's dumpy bags. Have just emptied 2010 vintage onto a border, last year's is breaking down well, so have empty bag for this year's lot. The leaves that fall in my garden are mostly beech. Ages ago, Gardening Which did a trial, and the most effective way to help the process was to shred leaves of possible (some garden vacs have a strummer thing built in), sprinkle on pelleted cluck muck as the layers are added and to keep it moist.
27/09/2012 at 18:40

I trundle 'round in the car with a few bags, and gather up the fallen leaves by the roadside. I get about 3 cubic metres this way, and then take 'em back to t'lotty, and dump the lot in the 'play pen,' for a year or so, then chop the lot with the mower, and if they are 'ready', use the stuff for mulching along beds, bean rows, peas  and fruit canes. No ill effects so far ! It might also attract a hedgehog, or something cuddly along the way. I have a ramshackle woodpile beside the playpen just in case.

By the way, WHAT is  ramSHACKLE ????? Is it similar to a 'newfangle' ??

27/09/2012 at 18:47

ram·shack·le  (rmshkl)

adj. So poorly constructed or kept up that disintegration is likely; rickety: a ramshackle cabin in the woods. [Back-formation from obsolete ranshackled, ramshackle, alteration of ransackled, past participle of ransackle, to ransack, frequentative of Middle English ransaken, to pillage; see ransack.]
27/09/2012 at 22:05

Gawd ! Wot 'ave  I gorn an' done ? I thought I was the only etymological derivitive goon around here !

email image
11 messages