London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
7 messages
15/04/2013 at 21:03

I have a large plot with a substantial perennial weed problem. I'm okay with the weeding part but I'd like to know the best way to compost the vast quantities I dig out. I originally put them into a separate open composting area but am building up quite a mountain of healthy perennial weeds!

I don't do hot composting, there are too many weeds to put them in a bucket of water until dead and we don't have a green refuse collection with living in a very rural area. Can anyone suggest the best way to deal with them?

15/04/2013 at 21:13

I haven't really found a way round this one. I don't like chemicals but have been known to let it all grow on the 'compost heap' and give it a dose of glyphosate. If I hit a rich seam of bindweed I do pick that out and dry it, also the corms of wild arum. It'd not a problem I've solved so I'll be interested to hear what others do.

15/04/2013 at 21:22

Allottment holders in the village I come from would  spread them out in the sunshine and  sort of 'dry' them like hay, and then build a small bonfire with hedgerow sticks and the dried perennial weeds, cover it with a layer of turves and it would burn slowly overnight - sometimes a small plume of smoke  would be seen rising for a couple of days.  The resulting ash would be used on the veg plot for potash. 

15/04/2013 at 21:24

I would have suggested the bucket treatment or maybe an old dustbin or wheelie bin if you have a lot.

Failind that, make sure you site your compost heap in a sunny spot, cover it with thick polythene  to help it sweat and then cover the polythene with carpet to shut out the light and let the whole heap rot down.

Other than that if you are in a rural area, let the weeds dry out a bit and burning them could be an alternative.

16/04/2013 at 08:25

Annual weeds or perennials that have not flowered i.e. no seeds on them, go into the dalek bins. Other weeds go into big sacks, fastened with clothes pegs to keep the rain out, and get taken to the dump when I have a car full (about 10 sacks) Couch grass always to the dump as it can grow quite happily in the darkness of a compost bin.

16/04/2013 at 09:01

Rabbits, chickens, ducks, and other plant loving animals will go to lunch on weeds big time. It's better than just giving them dried feed and water. Solves the weed problem and cuts down on the feed costs too.

You can get eggs manure its all good

24/04/2013 at 10:10

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll try some of your suggestions.

email image
7 messages