Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pests and bugs in my potted plants' soil!

I have potted avocado plants that I left sitting outside all summer this year, and of course it being fall and nearing winter, I have brought them back inside as the temps are beginning to drop where I live. 

Tonight it dawned on me as I looked at one of them and saw a beetle crawl around on top of the soil that having the plants outside probably wasn't the best idea as it gave opportunity for bugs and pests to make their home in my plants' pots. Ugh! One of my avocado plants nearly died from pests eating its roots back in March. I do not want that happening again.

Last year I let one of my plants stay outside for a few weeks and brought it back in but had fruit flies flying all over my bedroom. I looked into its soil and saw many microscopic white bugs crawling around in the soil.  

What can I do for my potted plants? My garden has a history of grub worms and beetles so there is no telling what bugs are partying in my plants' soil as I type this. Advice? Should I re-pot and rinse off the roots with new store-bought soil?

• That's nature and good soil should be full of lots of little invertebrates.  Most of them are good, just a few are bad. 

The ones to watch out for the most are vine weevil grubs

The little flies that you throught were fruit flies were probably compost flies - they feed on damp compost (especially the store-bought type) and it may be that the soil in your pots was too damp.  One way of discouraging them is to put a layer of horticultural grit over the top of the compost in your post - this will discourage the adults from laying their eggs in the pots. 

But don't worry, unless they're in massive numbers, most bugs in your soil will do little harm and may well be doing some good. You'll do much more harm to the plant if you try to wash the roots!

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• hi I started to empty my wall planters and was going to put the compost onto my raised beds when I found some of the we vine weevil grubs in the in the compost but I don't know if I should dump the compost or just dig it in ?

• Hi image

I would spread out a plastic sheet or tarpaulin and empty the compost onto it - leave it for a few days and the birds will have a feast - then when the grubs have all gone you can use it on your raised beds.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 811

I suffer at times from vine weevils in my potted sempervivums and other succulents. when I rescue the affected plants I pick over the chewed stump to make sure it's clean before treating it as a cutting or I steep it in water for 24hours. I try to recycle the compost by putting it in a bucket well covered in water, the compost that is! Leaving it for a few days then emptying it into my compost bin.  As I've mentioned in previous posts I've only ever seen one adult, they must be masters of hiding away.