Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pond

A few weeks ago our garden pond was full of frogs, resulting in quite a lot of frogspawn.  Over the past two days I have discovered two dead frogs, and the spawn is disintegrating.  The water has a slight film on the top of it.  What might this be due to, and how do I sort out the problem?

A.Cheltenham

• LMR1LMR1 Posts: 4

we have an oily greyish film now and again, it is from the dratted pigeons bathing in it! It clears within a day. But as have no frogs yet can't say whether it would affect them but seriously doubt it? Have you got something elsewhere which could be washing off into the pond?

• Might be worth while investing in  a ph taesting kit and diesase testing kit available from most aquactic centres to se if you have a problem. It is a poor year for frogs, i dont know why but have heard a lot of people commentin on both lack of frogs and spawn

• Do you have ducks in the area? We have had a pair of Mallards visit early in the morning, they leave a dusty film on the surface of the pond. It clears after a shower but returns if the ducks do.

If the frogs laid their eggs a few weeks ago your spawn will be hatching. If there is no sign of tiny tadpoles and the spawn looks like it has been disturbed, look for newts, they eat tadpoles.

• I created a garden pond two years ago and it has now become stagnant and foul smelling, despite having quite a few water plants in it. It is around 2m in diameter and 1m deep at the maximum. I endeavour to remove any leaves which fall in. Would it be advisable to install an aereation pump and if so what sort would you recommend please?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

A pond will only become foul smelling because plant or animal material is decomposing in it.  Adding a pump at this stage will probably not solve the problem.

I would be inclined to drain it completely, give it a thorough clean and start again.  A well balanced pond shouldn't need any additional aeration, but the reality is that most of us over stock the pond with fish, I know I did, so some assistance may be needed in hot weather.

• Many thanks for this. I've never had any fish in it, only some frog spawn and more likely leaves from the nearby tree. I'll take your advice and drain it. 

• I have a small pond and have managed to keep it clear. I have blanket weed like everyone does, but I keep clearing it out regularly.

Something you mentioned that I found interesting and which may be part of your problem is leaves. It's better to keep the pond clear of leaves as they alter the nutrient balance of the water and can cause problems in the long run. Just a thought for when you have drained it out and started over with it.

• Leave some of the sediment in the bottom though as this harbours microbes and small insects which benefit the health of the pond
  • Many thanks for this. I'm also going to try an aerator.

• Sk8erbunSk8erbun Posts: 3

I used to have a pond over run with mating frogs, a few inevitably ended up suffocating in the frenzied crush, yep they mate each other to death. if a couple of dead frog rot and the pond is quite small it becomes polluted, the oxygen depletes resulting in stagnant water and useless spawn. Some frogs even mate with a deceased one image