London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
8 messages
19/02/2013 at 22:10
I've got a large rosemary that has got so big it's blocking the view of the garden from the house. Will it re-grow if I give it a very severe haircut into the brown wood? Thanks
19/02/2013 at 22:43

Mine regrew after a fairly severe haircut, but do it after it's flowered. Early flowerer.

19/02/2013 at 23:09
Rosemary does not like being cut back into hard old wood. I prune mine every year to,avoid drastic cutting. Cuttings root easily though. How about considering a replacement shrub but a different variety? Sometimes when a plant is past it's best an opportunity arises for something new???
20/02/2013 at 10:33

Mine survived a fairly severe haircut but was never pleasing to look at after that. I'd start again

20/02/2013 at 11:14

Hi i took for the first time 4 cuttings of Rosemary last year just  stuck them straight into the soil and they are just magic ,i dont recomend this way i think a little more time and care next time in proper cuttings soil but Hey it worked and Rosemary is so easy and seems to be a tough plant ,in Falmouth there is a 12 foot high wall covered with rosemary growing from the garden at the top its all just hanging there in summer its just stunning

Cheers Alan 

20/02/2013 at 14:04

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18810.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

This rosemary grew enourmous and had dead bits on it, so about 4 or 5 years ago I dug it up and found the lower branches had rooted in several places  so I pruned the best looking bits quite hard and re-planted them. I now looks like a big bush, overflowing it's bed again.

20/02/2013 at 16:00

you can clip it like a hedge with shears,my son has rosemary hedge and we clip it twice a year.

20/02/2013 at 20:38
Thank you for all the advice. I do have some one year old cuttings that are doing very well, so I might replace it with one of those rather than cut into the brown wood. It has been regularly clipped since I moved here two years ago, but was already too big really, I've lived with it for this long but now I'd like to see some more of my garden
email image
8 messages