Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Vine problems

Hello everyone, I live in Italy and am growing some vines in my garden, one is a rosé grape and the other is called American grape or "uva fragola" (strawberry grape). Both varieties seem to be having a bit of trouble. A lot of the grapes seem to be "drying up" on the vine without maturing. A lot of the leaves have a yellow/brown hue. We have been eating the few grapes that have matured but they aren't maturing very well. We have been treating the plants with "verderame" (copper based treatment) and watering regularly. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

I'm in Italy too. If your summer was anything like ours, everything basically cooked. I've got three grapes, two in large pots. I had to pour tons of water on them. The yield is nothing like it has been in the past.

• yes it was very dry! We watered them profusely but they're still not in good shape. Even the veg and tomatoes suffered this year.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Dry and unrelentingly hot here. The worst season I've ever had for everything in the vegie line. Even the female pumpkin flowers were cooking and withering before they had a chance to open. Now that it's cooler, I'm getting pumpkins setting every day. Except yesterday and today has seen winds of 40+kph and my French beans - that I'd just started to harvest - are being destroyed. You can't win!

• Hello, I am an Italian living in London.  I have been growing grapes for a few years, Uva Americana (American grapes) and white seedless.  They now both appear to have some sort of desease where there are white spots underneath the leaves and I do not know what to do.  My brother keeps telling me I need to spray 'verderame' regularly.  I am afraid I have no idea what it is called in English and at the local garden nurseries they do not seem to be able to help either.  Any idea of what it might be called in English please and will it solve my problem?

Thank you.

I think that removing the affected leaves might help and I have been doing it but still it has not disappeared and it is now the 2nd year that it is happening.