Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Why won't plants grow under my Holly tree?

I have a holly tree in my front garden with a boarder underneath.  The canopy is about 6 feet from the ground but anything I plant underneath won't grow.  The same plants grow very well in the rest of the boarder.  Even when well watered the poor specimins under the tree stay sad.  I was wondering if the the degrading leaves are poisonous to other plants / soil.  Can anyone answer this for me?  

Many Thanks, Mary

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Probably too dry.  The holly tree must suck up many gallons every day.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Perhaps you should ask your boarder to leave some room for plants?

• Thanks guys.  and LOL gardeningenes image  I'll ask image

• I have trouble with a bush that I recently planted next to a fence. On the other dude is a eucalyptus trea. The bush is dying, have fed it but no luck.

Any tips?

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I have Honesty growing under a bay tree, very dry and lacking nutrients but it loves it image

Carolyne maybe start a new thread post a picture and say what the bush is image 

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

The only thing that grows under my holly tree is ivy. Oh, and self-seeded elder. It's too painful to crawl about under there to remove them...

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

There's a huge holly tree at the end of the hedge behind the flats I live in but that corner does get the late afternoon sun.  I have several large tubs there  planted with various bulbs and perennials.  I feed the tubs but not the holly as its about 10 metres high and produces millions of berries every year, greatly appreciated by the blackbirds on a cold winter morning