London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 40 of 45 messages
04/11/2012 at 17:36

Debbie,  can you start a new thread for your question on the Problem Solving forum ?- if you put an appropriate heading I'm sure someone with some expertise in that area will help - they may not notice your question on this thread 

04/11/2012 at 18:00
I'm new to this, thank you, will do that now
20/11/2012 at 09:48

I'm still unable to enter competitions from the site. I was told many months ago the techies were on the case. I use Google Chrome as it seems to have the fastest access to the web in the bogs of Dartmoor. Can anyone help?

06/01/2013 at 07:45

Not sure which forum to enter?.

how can I keep my  poinsettas going for as long as possible.

any ideas?

06/01/2013 at 07:49

for a new problem, post a new thread, that way you will get the answer.

06/01/2013 at 07:52

Hi Roses and welcome

Can I suggest that you go to Forum Topics at the top here, then onto Plants, and then open a new thread with someting like 'Keeping Poinsettas - advice please' in the title. Then in the bit below tell us a bit about your plants and what facilities you've got - greenhouse, conservatory, kitchen windowsill, etc and I'm sure someone will have some advice for you. 

09/06/2013 at 08:49

HELP, HELP HELP I HAVE A VERY POORLY CAMELIA.  IT HAS A FEW FLOWERS AND A VERY FEW LEAVES. I DO LIVE IN SOUTH WALES SO IT HAS BEEN VERY COLD.  ANY ADVISE, PLEASE?

09/06/2013 at 08:55

Hi Ginnie and welcome - I'm not a camellia expert, we have the wrong sort of soil, but if you start a new thread about your camellia on the Problems section I'm sure one of the others will see it and try to help 

09/06/2013 at 12:29

Hi, thank you so much, I will do that now 

24/10/2013 at 20:22
Hi Daniel.
I think the site is very good with great advice and lots of stories to be told etc, but i would like a close your thread button for threads that you entered which dont do very well.also can i please get my smilies back as my comments are exspressionless.
Many thanks.
Dave.
14/11/2013 at 19:20

An area for children on the actual website could be useful, especially to help wildlife as chidlren are interested.  As the average age of the magazine is 60 (apparently), it's a shame that there are not ideas for projects for children that some grandparents may wish to do.   The RHS has a scheme for schools but just a few simple projects would do as lots of people are keen supporters of this website and the magazine.  If this is the wrong place to air this idea - sorry.  Many schools have an ECO thread to them and would love grandparents (or parents, aunts, uncles ... to help.  Get grandparents to involve children before they reach their teens and become distracted with other things.

If I've missed the link for children, sorry - it wasn't obvious.

14/11/2013 at 19:36

Hiya marmaladegirl

Do you mean a section on the forum for children? 

14/11/2013 at 19:43

Someone suggested that once before if I remember correctly.  I think it would be a shame to have a separate part of the forum for children .... we have had children and young people ask questions on here and I think we've been able to help them.  I'm not keen on children being marginalised into Children's Only sections - and who would answer their queries?

However, a 'young person's project' section in the magazine might be a positive move, and this could then be expanded on in the website.  

I think it's really important to introduce children to growing things at a really early age - I was only two and a half when I planted my first crocus bulbs and not much more than that when I discovered that horrid prickly bushes somehow magically produced luscious raspberries - I was hooked 

28/01/2014 at 15:16

Are people able to get up & dig their plots yet ??   I'm in Devonshire and my plot is far tooo wet to dig.

Is it OK to cut fruit bushes back now     ? (Goosegogs, & currants )

28/01/2014 at 15:54

Arbutus1, I suggest you post your question in the Fruit and Veg forum, the experts there will be able to advise.

02/05/2014 at 19:41

Where the thread is very long you have to make several jumps to get to the newest posts. Is it possible to set it so that the newest posts show first? That is, reverse their order. Also, when I click on a particular one of my posts in "My Posts" it would be useful if it went to that particular post so that I could see any responses,instead of to the beginning of the thread, which could be 800+ posts away.

02/05/2014 at 19:49

Hi Chris B,

If you go to settings- forum settings and change the thread starting radio button does that work?

Just a guess- I might have misunderstood...

02/05/2014 at 20:18

I clicked on the green arrow to the right of Victoria Sponge.

Now you click on the green arrow to the right of Nutcutlet.

But it's better to start a new thread if you have a new subject to discuss, rather than search for an old one

28/05/2014 at 01:57

Daniel. The Forum is very welcome, but you have some serious competition and are at present "chasing the game".

1.There's far too much reliance on "latest posts" rather than a more differentiated approach. Gardenweb has over a hundred different forums. Now that's too many but there has to be a happy medium.

2. Also, I've noticed a lot of people don't really know how to use the site to best advantage. Like a good gardener you need a little patience. The first answer you get is not always necessarily the best and yet a lot of people don't come back.. It's not a chatline. Many people may only visit the forum occasionally and yet they have valuable advice. Besides I'm not going to comment if 20 people already have. Even if I think 19 of them are idiots!

3. The photo reproduction is insufficient. Far too small to be useful. When I tried to redirect to a photo hosting site, I was unable to do so.

Good luck and hope you find this constructive.

Ian.

28/05/2014 at 06:30

I've never had any problem  using the forum, even though I'm not very techie, apart from when there was a hitch now and again which the GW tech team sorted. They are constantly trying to keep things running smoothly. Problems with photos are often down to the device being used rather than the forum. I wish this had been available when I started gardening - the instant advice from very knowledgeable people and the camaraderie is first class. Also, if you want to raise an issue you need to contact Daniel directly at Gardener's World - I don't think he has the time to sift through and read all the many threads we have on here. It would be a 24 hour job!

21 to 40 of 45 messages