London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
21 to 29 of 29 messages
24/01/2014 at 22:03

Thank you FFB  

Here is an interesting story, my brother has some bamboo growing in a big heavy pot at his house. On Christmas eve there was a knock on his door. It was the next door neighbour coming to see if my brother could help him with a problem. . . his son, on getting into bed said, 'Daddy, don't forget to do a stocking for Panda' (his soft toy). One bit of bamboo later Panda had something to 'eat' in his stocking!  His son was delighted 

25/01/2014 at 00:03

Nice one panda. 

25/01/2014 at 08:32

Awwww!  

25/01/2014 at 10:36

Aah Panda what a lovely story - thanks for sharing it! 

25/01/2014 at 12:16

Sweet story Panda 

I have to agree with blairs about bamboo. They get a bad press, and some of them are definitely free running, but I've not found the Fargesia ones, which are clump forming,  invasive. Perhaps the climate and soil up here helps to keep them well behaved though. 

25/01/2014 at 15:09
Its a shame they get bad press Fairygirl, with some care when selecting they can really add to the garden.
There are some dwarf types of bamboo, also suitable for pots.
25/01/2014 at 17:46
Verdun wrote (see)

Philippa, yes.  Euphorbia griffithi, a lovely variety with beautiful red tinged foliage, became a nightmare popping up everywhere.  Artemisia limelight is even worse. 

Invasive plants are now banned here and new ones are always checked for such temdencies

Also a relative nightmare ..........pampas grass.  Thug like,sharp edged and over rated and under controlled generally.

Another relative nightmare .....my cousin. 

Whoops.............I have the E. grifithii but only planted last year so time will tell.  Also I have a Pampas grass ready to be planted...........I agree it can be a bit of a pig but I want it because it is ideal for the Slow Worms to pop in and out of   It

can get out of hand if it is not regularly "combed" through but it does have it's uses.

Mint..........the only real way to grow mint is in pots rather than open beds but the downside is that it is never so prolific- win some, lose some I suppose.

Lemon Balm is one of my nightmares - I like it and use it a lot but it does tend to take advantage of my good nature.

As for other relative nightmares, I'd opt to plant them altogether......round the back of the Shed maybe

25/01/2014 at 18:38

Bees I have x3 bamboos planted as a screen/hedge x2 nigra and x1 that has red stems ( don't know the name a friend gave us the root) they grow v tall but we make sure they are cut back every year.... I think if you leave them they will take over 

25/01/2014 at 18:41

ffb, I'm sure you'll turn up here soon. I've emailed you

email image
21 to 29 of 29 messages