Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

composting hay

archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

since i got the chucks...i seem to have a lot of hay mixed with poo. i put half in the green bin for the council . and the rest in my darlek bins and give a good soaking . any more ideas . image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Sound like perfect disposal to me.

• I would always use wheat straw rather than hay for chickens, much cheaper and no seeds so you can put it all in the compost. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

points taken thank youimage

just checked . i have got straw .. been in the city to longimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I'll be around with my barrow for the stuff you are putting in the green bin image

• I compost my chicken poo and straw separately to the rest of my composting, and also separate to my horses manure and bedding; partly because I find the straw takes ages to get completely rotted down, and partly because I use it differently in the garden; but maybe that's me I'm no compost expert! We also buy in chicken manure out of sheds for use on the farm, (I mean like by the 100 ton!) it's so finely rotted due to the heat from the sheds it's like silt-amazing stuff but man it stinks like nothing else on earth!!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    archiepem, I have read your post again and I fail to understand why you are throwing away valuable chicken bedding. It has to be composted, but it is a wonderful compost accelerator. Put it all in your compost with grateful thanks to your cooks for giving you such useful stuff.
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

WO, my thought exactly.  My daughter brings over a bag sometimes which mixes well with all the other stuff which goes into my bins. Her OH made three rather splendid rat proof large compost bins but I get the occasional treat

all points taken thanks . need more compost bins and  need to free up some spaceimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I agree about not giving it away.

in the words of Alan Titchmarsh " 2 things in the garden which can never be too big: the greenhouse and the compost bins"

Ask your gentlemen friends to .... ermm... recycle their beer and add it to the straw if it's a bit on the dry side.

Devon.