London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
10 messages
19/09/2013 at 20:47

Has anyone been successful with taking cuttings from hybrid tea roses and what methods did they use.

Also does anyone know a good supplier of rose seeds. I can only seem to find them on ebay and they tend to be from chinese sellers and seem to be available in colours that dont look realistic. I would hate to spend a long time growing something to find it is something it isnt.

Thanks for any replys

19/09/2013 at 21:00

What sort of rose seeds do you want cairnsie. Chiltern seeds have a good selection. Species roses are the only ones you can rely on to be as you expect them to be. Hybrid teas won't come true from seed, though anything that makes hips will  produce something.

19/09/2013 at 21:03

Yeah my hybrid teas dont seem to be making hips for whatever reason but I have had alot of damage of the wind snapping stems on my standards which is why i am asking about cuttings. I like the hybrid tea style flowers but im not bothered about the colour.

Thanks for the reply.

19/09/2013 at 21:06

Me and cuttings? my advice would get you nowhere

19/09/2013 at 21:09

It funny i seem to be the same. seed is no problem but for the second year running im struggling with my cuttings.

19/09/2013 at 21:17

Lots of people have offered advice, both on and off the forum but although I get some to take I can never rely on it. 

I grew Rosa rugosa from seed, sown this time last year and flowers already on 7 out of the 8.

Rosa majolica as well but no flowers yet

19/09/2013 at 21:17

For cuttings, use 1 year old wood, unflowered shoots, pencil thick, about a foot long. remove leaves and insert in a slit trench in sandy /gritty soil. Leave for a year. When they  go dormant the second year, move to final position.

I have had species rose from Chiltern.  I grew  Rosa filipes from seed, and then grew more plants from the best one by  hardwood cuttings. I also have R. glauca from seed.

Rosa rugosa from seed for hedging is easy too.

If you go on the seed swap thread, you could maybe get some seed pods from other forum members.

19/09/2013 at 21:26

Thanks for the advice ill try that and have a look on the seed swap forum too. Are softwood cuttings any good this time of year.

19/09/2013 at 21:38

I do hardwood cuttings in the winter. Softwood cuttings wwould be June time.

19/09/2013 at 21:39

Thanks for that ill have a go with whats snapped off.

email image
10 messages