London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 91 messages
02/10/2013 at 19:53

have your say on the daily topics like environmental issues,or any other issue you would like to discuss with otheres

02/10/2013 at 20:57

D o you think that the tories will win the next general election?

02/10/2013 at 21:05

Yes.  Can see this thread causing some agro Diddy!  Is a discussion about politics wise do you think?

02/10/2013 at 21:05

I think it's probably too early to say, but at present I can't see Labour winning and hope it remains that way.  They've messed it up every time they've been in power previously.

02/10/2013 at 21:28

Will it make any difference to my garden,whoever gets in?

02/10/2013 at 22:09

They're all as bad as each other, don't think I want to get into a heavy debate rather stick to general chit chat sorry everyone

03/10/2013 at 09:59

The thread is open to anything you wish to chat about,it doe's not have to be polatics,but we have to start somewhere dont we.So then what about climate change what do you think?.Or the rising cost of food produce?.

03/10/2013 at 10:27

Political arguments are probably better in the forums of the daily newspapers, not a gardening forum.

03/10/2013 at 12:02

Climate change is an issue that constantly crops up, or seemingly becoming newsworthy every other day for some reason or other. I have a problem with Climate Change. Agreed, there are some very basic things that we can all do to avoid the systematic "man-made" destruction of our planet BUT, and this is what the scientists seem all to keen to forget or gloss over, this planet of ours has been in existence an awfully long time and in comparison man has been around about the length of a single strand of straw in the worlds largest hay bale and in all that time its been turning, cooling down, heating up, cooling down and heating up. Its done this since the birth of the planet and will continue to do so. So whilst I recognise that Climate Change and Global Warming are causes for concern, man is responsible for such a small percentage of it and none of us can control mother nature! Morning all! Heather x

03/10/2013 at 12:12

Can,t quite see where this thread is going.Plenty of other threads for genral chit chat ,rants etc.

03/10/2013 at 12:21

I could not agree more heather,but I do still think that we all can take steps and make a change.I personaly think that the " giant food stores " could make the biggest change by demanding packageing to be kept to a minimum and to change over to bio-degradable carrier bag's.They should make a small charge for the carrier bags to encourage people to bring their own shopping bag,s with them.

03/10/2013 at 12:24

Agreed Dave, far too much packaging on everything, I'd rather have everything wrapped up in brown paper which is easily bio-degradable. I shoulda been born in the late 1800's!! x

03/10/2013 at 13:00

once again my OH says that she misses seeing pure white nappies drying on a washing line,what have we got now nappies that could take over 100yrs to decompose.And when you think of the number of babies around the world then that is a lot to dispose of.It really does not bear thinking about.I can understand that in modernday it's the convenience of it all and would proove to difficult to change.

03/10/2013 at 14:06

Cotton nappies need washing at a high temp with detergent which is also not great for the environment, swings and roundabouts.

03/10/2013 at 15:02

obviously it,s not for everyone,but i still think its a matter of convenience.

03/10/2013 at 15:37

Ok a complete change of subject:- what is the benefits of hydroponics

03/10/2013 at 15:40

I think climate change is a big factor in gardening these last few years and also the increase vegetable prices due to this and of course population explosion.I also think people could do more to grow their own fruit and veg(keep Hens) even in a small garden.I have saved a lot by growing my  own and eggs from my daughters hens.It is sad to see so many apple and pear trees laden with fruit that is wasted .

03/10/2013 at 15:46

I saw an add in a freecycle thread that was offering free apples plums and damson to who ever wanted them.at least they are not going to waste.The rising cost are making us go backwards in time because of the steep rises in price and fuel costs.Everything has to be delivered hence the rises in price to compensate for it.

03/10/2013 at 15:54

Hi

Thought i would put in a couple of points to ponder.

1. if it takes a 100 years to decompose a nappy or carrier bag how long will it take to fill all the landfill sites ??? where dou you think the materials come from to make them in the first place ? are we just going round in circles ?

2. why when i go to my local landfill with my works veichle filled with recyclable materials from work and paying for landfill . They still insist it goes  to the land fill and won't let me in the recycle section , i would still be paying land fill charges.

03/10/2013 at 16:08

Please dont get me started about landfill sites,is there any wonder that people fly tip.

I do not condone this for one minute but you go to a tip and when you finaly find a slot to get into it,s YOU CANNOT PUT THAT IN THERE you need to go down to the other end,so its back and to until you finaly empty your vehicle.they drive me mad.and I feel sorry for some who can only tip several times in the year and need to have tickets.what the hell is all that about?

1 to 20 of 91 messages