London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
4 messages
22/10/2013 at 20:05

hi all i have a 8 year old magnolia bush flowered twice this year do i need to do anything to it leaves look abit sad i am very new to gardening can anyone give me some advice

KEF
22/10/2013 at 20:12

Hi Donna, my Mum has a huge magnolia tree, about 25yrs old, all she's ever done is prune bits off in mid summer if they were in the way of the lawn mower or were crossing over each other. This is the time when it drops it's leaves.

When you say it looks sad can you describe what it looks like? or post a picture.

22/10/2013 at 20:51

hi Donna - like KEF's Mum we have magnolias that we just leave to get on with it.  At this time of year they lose their leaves (they are deciduous) - next May you should get more flowers and it will come into leaf again.  If you look you will see little furry buds on there already - that is next years flowers.  They are magnificent in a good year, but you can sometimes lose all the flowers to a late frost ..... Grrrr !

23/10/2013 at 20:49

Hi KEFand Chicky thank u very much for ur advice i will just leave it to its own devices then not sure how i put pics on here yet but i will learn

email image
4 messages