London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
01/07/2011 at 11:29
Oh dear... this is a sad story. We're all holding our collective breath here, hoping for a happy ending! Go bees, go!
01/07/2011 at 14:25
I never knew of the terror of wax moths - I hope to hear good news soon. I shall endeavour to dissuade next door's cat from swiping at any more bees, surely they have enough to deal with combating the moth.
01/07/2011 at 15:31
We're all rooting for your queen, Kate. If there is any justice in this world all your care and attention should pay off.
01/07/2011 at 15:38
I also did not know about the 'killer wax moths'. I do hope that the remaining bees survive and the queen produces more workers. Kate please let us know if there is a happy ending to this sad story.
01/07/2011 at 22:57
This is sickening to read. I really hope it can have a good ending. I've only just learnt about these moths and am worried that the moth I saw on our CCTV a few times might have been one of these. Our box still has activity but is certainly in decline - and the buzzing/fizzing sound that came from inside is now more like a scratch/crackling sound. I am fearful for our little buffs :-(
01/07/2011 at 23:58
Kate, Thank you so much for this fascinating if a bit sad feature. As I have written on her and my own blog before I am a proud owner of two bumble bee nests in my garden this year and in fact if you include the one under the hedge on my neighbours side you could say three! I was a little nervous of the bees at first but over the last few months have grown to love having them about. This year (only it's second year) my garden is an oasis of different insects and interestingly a large variety of bee species. I will certainly now be on guard against these wax moths to make sure they don't invest my lovely extende family!! http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/ Higgy
02/07/2011 at 00:01
Kate, Thank you so much for this fascinating, if a bit sad feature. As I have written on here and my own blog before, I am a proud owner of two bumble bee nests in my garden this year and in fact if you include the one under the hedge on my neighbours side you could say three! I was a little nervous of the bees at first but over the last few months have grown to love having them about. This year (only it's second year) my garden is an oasis for different insects and interestingly a large variety of bee species. I will certainly now be on guard against these wax moths to make sure they don't infest my lovely extended family!! http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/ Higgy
02/07/2011 at 09:26
I have bumblebee nests, but donot know how to observe them as they are under ground. I know the approximate area they come from. Plus I have many types of moths. Don't know what the wax moth looks like, will google it. I hope all goes well, for your bumblebees Kate, love your blog.
02/07/2011 at 09:57
arhhhhhhhhhhh kate,i know the feeling,trying to save our dearest bees,only last year i had a wonderful large active nest of bees [although i was scared at first of them nesting so close to house] however not knowing what wax-moths were or are the naughty bugger flew into box and completey destroyed my bee nest.when i managed to open box up to see if i could save them i was sooooooo surprised to find the most amazing cob-web affect that i guess was from the MOTH.............. but good news this year i have got 3 nest now and all active [fingers crossed],plus loads of leaf cutter bees have laid eggs in the logs i have.... keep us updated with your buffs.
02/07/2011 at 09:59
come on queenie you need to work harder.
02/07/2011 at 14:03
yet again ,,,,theres another snake in our garden,well actually its swimming in our pond!!!!!!! yuk. im not sure what sort of snake it is , its about 1 foot long [roughly] not sure of colour as i came inside[didnt want to get bitten again], but it has a white stripe by its head,also its not a fat snake quite slim infact... any ideas people!!!! also why is it that the last week or so ive had rather a lot of them in my garden, WHY????? whats attracting them in? help help help....
02/07/2011 at 14:59
This sounds like a grass snake, sarahs pondlife. They like damp places so your pond is the attraction. The smooth snake is much rarer. i do hope your bite has healed well.
02/07/2011 at 19:59
oh happymarion...'thanks' but sadly i still not happy about them being in my garden!!!! not much i can do though,i guess it doesn't help as my garden backs onto woods and a farm.... as for my bite no it hasn't healed well still very swollen and bruised. but thank you for asking.x hope you are well,hows the garden?
02/07/2011 at 20:14
My garden is doing very well this year, sarah's pondlife, and I am enjoying lots of strawberries and early veg. No trouble on the roses or beans with aphids as there are lots of ladybirds. The Centre Court at Wimbledon was full of them, though, so they seem to be short of ladybirds. I do not have snakes but masses of slow worms, of all sizes. They are so beautiful. I don't think I have any wax moths but lots of bumblebees. I might try putting on the lights in the conservatory to see whether any are attracted to the light, moths I mean. And I am very well, thank you - only one insect bite so far. I have soothed it with coconut oil.
02/07/2011 at 23:09
Your colony should survive Kate, but the damage is very severe. It does take a long time for the Queen to rear larvae without the support of many workers, and she can only do so after amassing reserves to feed herself and her existing workers first. The fact there are two wax pots already is very good news. You have to factor in that with just 2 workers, the demands on those workers, especially if they are only small in size, and the amount of nectar they would need to collect is extraordinary.
03/07/2011 at 08:57
Oh Kate, those poor bees. It makes me feel so sad to see bees killed. Please let us know how they get on. GO ON BEES YOU CAN DO IT!!!
03/07/2011 at 20:55
Hi everyone, thanks for your kind comments. I have some sad news: I just returned from a weekend away to find one wax moth in the nest (which I managed to miss twice) and no sign of the queen. My hopes were raised when I found several wax pots, but were soon dashed when I found the queen dead, a few metres away. Sigh. Nik Sargent - It might not mean your bumbles have wax moth. A lot of nests die off around this time of year anyway. Can you have a look? If it is wax moth, it would be good if you could get rid of the caterpillars to prevent a similar fate happening to bumblebees near you next year. Lazygardener - the fact that yours are nesting underground means they are less likely to be predated by wax moth. It's thought that the moths detect the bees by scent, so if they're tucked away in an old mouse nest underground, they're much safer than the are in a box, or compost heap. I really hope I haven't encouraged anyone to go out and indiscriminately kill moths. Butterflies and moths are having a terrible time at the moment and need all the help we can get. I guess there's no right answer... If you find a nest which has been predated by wax moths then do, if you want, kill the caterpillars to prevent a future generation predating on next year's bees, but I wouldn't advise going out and finding wax moths. They are a natural, native predator of bumblebees after all. They just find it easier to find the bees now because we have destroyed so many bumblebee habitats. The best thing to do for bees remains the same: grow lots of nectar rich flowers from spring to autumn and leave an area of your garden with long grass, where bees can nest safely. Perhaps we should all take a leaf out of lazygardener's book and be a little more lazy in the garden. sarah's pondlife - I'm sorry you got bitten by a snake, but to see one swimming in your pond, do you know how jealous I am?? Kate
04/07/2011 at 09:44
So sad to hear about your bees Kate, the thing is, it is just nature and sometimes nature can be so cruel. Yesterday evening I was in the garden watering and I stood and watched a leaf cutter bee cutting out a leaf for its nest, the size of leaf it cut out was so much bigger than the bee but it had no trouble flying off with it. It was just an amazing thing to see.
04/07/2011 at 12:33
you cant be serious 'kate'.... its a horrid thing................i am some what petrified of snakes to say the least...and as i was bite the other day its made me worse... of to hampton court tomorrow.....yippppee.
04/07/2011 at 12:46
Swarms of bees today in the West Country because of the warm weather.
1 to 20 of 27 messages