London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
17 messages
23/07/2010 at 17:32
Try to make use of the Golden Mean like artists do. Imagine you have lines across your viewer one third and two thirds horizontally and vertically and where they intersect is the Golden Mean where the most important part of the picture should be, a choice of four. Also, finding straight diagonal lines from any of the corners of the frame will give you a good composition. Try to get complementary or harmonising colours and have fun experimenting with the editing of your pictures on the computer. I hope you have as much fun photographing plants and gardens as I have,Lila.
24/07/2010 at 21:02
I can't agree more with point number five. I took some wonderful photos of penstemens in my garden and when the photos came back (before I went digital) there were a goood many shots which featured the gigantic underpants of my neighbour hanging in the background!
27/07/2010 at 20:27
I take pictures of our garden and allotment every month and then download them on to MSN, it's a pleasure looking back and enjoying the garden over and over again.
30/07/2010 at 08:10
I much enjoyed your post on camera gardening. I take average pictures with my mobile which I always have on me. Until the advent of camera mobiles I never took pictures. I use it for a variety of purposes. Record/diary keeping (then adding text with Picasa, so I know what I planted where in the next season, and also it reinforces the plant names), passing wildlife which won't wait for you to go and get your camera (birds, butterflies, frogs, moths), artistic views, identification, (most recently what turned out to be a garden escapee, Linum grandiflorum, in a butterfly meadow in a country park, had to call in the experts).It's a bit addictive and a brilliant tool.
30/07/2010 at 09:24
I have got a few little galleries that I have done, just when in my parents garden and in the inlaws garden... you can get some great shots, but would recommend a decent camera... Macro lens work a treat. See them here www.timbronze.co.uk/horticulture/
30/07/2010 at 10:31
Lila The best thing I ever did re garden photography was take a weekend course -- Andrea Jones (http://www.andreajones.co.uk/template.cfm?pID=1) offered 2 last year and I took the Spring one. Amazing to do nothing but photographing plants and flowers for weekend with Andrea's bunch of pros, including PhotoShop pros who show basic tips for making colours look real if the camera didn't catch them right. You're right about the tripod. One tip Andrea gave me was never try to do handheld (without a tripod) on a shutter speed below 80. If I can't use a tripod I also use the timer function -- 2 or 5 second delay eliminates the shake caused by the hand when pressing the button. Sheila Averbuch -- Stopwatch Gardener
30/07/2010 at 20:43
Thank you for a good post on camera gardening, I started taking photo's of my garden plants a month ago and needed some advise.
30/07/2010 at 22:07
Thanks everyone for these encouraging comments. I have been mulling over a course and am now persuaded. Not lucky enough to own a Digital SLR, but Paul, mentioned above, told me that if you are an amateur and can't afford a macro lens, an extension tube costing around £10 works very well indeed.
02/08/2010 at 11:24
hi can anyone tell me what to do with my potatoes. they are growing extremely tall and leggy, they are in bags, and when I looked to see if there were any tubers, there were none. Only one plant has flowered so far. I have early and lates in. I filled the bags and covered the foliage when I should have.
03/08/2010 at 15:20
The best way to learn is to take pictures, then take more and more. I have been doing it for 20 years - I still learn every day.
05/08/2010 at 14:49
You are so right Andy!
19/11/2010 at 20:17
I just wonted to share the new camera I got from Sony, it is the best easy to use of it's kind. Thanks Tom http://sonycybershotdsc-tx9digitalcamera.com/
13/01/2011 at 07:34
I also like that pictures when i see garden i take photo and do it save will upload it sooner. Canvas Prints
06/02/2011 at 12:49
5 simple tips for good garden photography... http://bit.ly/dYxRdm
31/03/2011 at 15:12
You could also use a macro lens to get finer detail and closer up to the subject. Here's some fine examples of macro photography of flowers etc.
19/04/2011 at 17:24
Through gardening I have discover photography, and through photography I have discovered the plants and insects in my garden. I am always amazed by the changes that sometimes goes unnoticed, had I not taken a photo. Garden photography is refreshing.
28/11/2011 at 18:41
I enjoyed your blog on camera's in the garden, I take my camera everywhere I go and have managed loads of lovely pictures, if I do on the off chance forget it my mobile phone is also a camera, when I look back at the photo's it is amazing how the garden is alway's changing.
email image
17 messages