Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
18 messages
10/03/2012 at 07:09
A bit short.
27/03/2012 at 03:32
I can't get the video to work so haven't watched it
07/11/2013 at 16:25
It was a bit short! I was looking for more information on the type and height of supports please.
08/11/2013 at 07:46

I grow autumn fruiting raspberry Polka - very large and tasty fruit - delicious.  Mine are still produce a few fruit now - enough for a small bowlfull with some muesli and yoghurt for my breakfast two or three times a week!  

Autumn fruiting raspberries don't really need supports as you prune all the stems down to ground level in the winter and they fruit on the new growth.  However  grow mine against a fence so when we had the storm forecast the other week I did just put a string along the fence to stop them blowing about too much in the storm   Otherwise, virtually trouble free 

08/11/2013 at 17:05
The supports in the video look to be about chest height, Myrtle S. I think they would be fine shorter if you wanted to use supports in an exposed site. Thanks for the info, Dovefromabove.
15/11/2013 at 21:10

Can I cut  ALL of my raspberries down now   ????

16/11/2013 at 03:38

Are they autumn fruiting or summer fruiting varieties?

20/01/2014 at 18:14

Has anyone else been plagued with vine weevils on their raspberries? I grew Autumn Bliss last year and the little devils demolished the two plants I had in containers, even though I used nematodes on them. This year I'm planning to plant autumn raspberries in the ground, but would welcome your opinions on the best varieties for combatting pests (if any!). 

20/01/2014 at 18:27

Hi Susan, they should be fine in the ground as vine weevil usually only affects potted plants and are not such a problem for things planted into soil.  I suspect there are natural predators in soil which keep the numbers under control.  It seems to me VWs really like MP compost so I wouldn't use that to mulch the canes after you have planted them.

21/01/2014 at 13:30

That's really great advice Bob, thanks. Good point about natural predators too - I'm trying to encourage more birds and insects into the garden to predate on the little blighters, so hopefully, this year will be more successful. 

03/02/2014 at 19:39

Just wonder if I can still plant autumn fruiting raspberries now in early February into the ground?  It was suggested to plant them in October/November so it may be too late?  I only want to plant about 6 canes next to a wooden fence and don't intend to put in any supports?  Can anyone advise me please??  

03/02/2014 at 19:44

I planted mine last February and they were fine.  They're alongside a fence and when they grew I just restrained them by running a wire along to keep them from whipping about in the winds. 

10/02/2014 at 22:27

I purchased 5 raspberry plants at weekend as I'm going to give them a go (not grown them before). They are 'Raspberry Malling Delight' - The canes are about 2' tall . Do I just plant them as they are without pruning and will I get fruit from them this year. Can anyone help plse.  

02/03/2014 at 08:02

How do you prune them? 

02/03/2014 at 08:10

Hi michaellaura - which type of raspberries are you wanting to prune? Autumn-fruiting raspberries should be cut down to the ground by now.  If not done yet do them now. 

02/03/2014 at 09:08

Autumn- fruiting raspberries and thanks Dovefromabove i am off now for 2 weeks so do them now but never had much fruit off them.

02/03/2014 at 09:30

Give them a dose of Fish Blood and Bone about now, and maybe water in some potash too.  If your soil is on the alkaline side water in a couple of teaspoons of epsom salts too.  

Raspberries need quite a bit of water to produce fruit, so when you see them starting to flower make sure you give them a good soaking during dry spells.  I water mine whenever I water the runner beans. 

03/03/2014 at 11:17

OK thank you Dovefromabove i will it a go and see what happens.

email image
18 messages