London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
10 messages
09/08/2013 at 04:51
I just hope the birds get some of them but always wise to check the roots of every plant even from the garden centre as they are not adverse to any plant and hide on shrubs, I brought it into my garden with an Acer that I purchased from a good garden centre, in no time was reeking havoc through my garden. I haven't grown Lilies this year because of the red demon the Lily beetle, if you want to pass plants around friends and family good idea to give them cuttings instead of pots that maybe hiding the evils of the garden.
09/08/2013 at 08:56

Very true kaycurtis.  I check the pots and roots as best I can but it's difficult without breaking up the rootball.  The new peat free composts seem to attract vine weevils.  Plants that are vulnerable.....for me....include Heucheras, primulas, fuschias and host plants seem to be euonymous.  I treat soil around both vulnerable and host plants twice a year

28/08/2013 at 08:13
In my limited experience I thought it was only the containers they attacked. Do they also thrive in the garden.
28/08/2013 at 08:35

Oh yes Susan.  Vine weevils are in the garden too......they love Heucheras, primulas, fuschias, etc.  I use nematodes or Provado in autumn and in spring. ,

28/08/2013 at 09:16

can i confirm what plants look like when attacked by vine weevils my calandulas and some other plants have holes all over the lieves and dont look healthy i have bought Provado just this week but feel very guilty at using it.

28/08/2013 at 09:46

They live in gardens, preferring warm walls to rest on. Going out at dusk with a torch and looking on walls, pots and plants with notches cut into the leaves should reveal a few. I caught 12 the other night. The nibble lots of things, Clematis as it is on my wall is often attacked. I know most of my Vine weevil came in last year via a Magnolia plant that was healthy then just faded. The whole thing just came out when I wondered why it failed when it was perfectly looked after and I found grubs and promptly disposed of the soil, too late to stop the others that escaped. I can understand why some people remove all the soil from newly purchased plants to stop that sort of thing happening.

28/08/2013 at 11:01

Thanks for your advice I found using parvdo difficult as my plants are close together so it was hard to get to the soil

28/08/2013 at 13:01

Provado is systemic and after watering it should get to the roots.

28/08/2013 at 18:06

thanks for you reply Blairs it answers my question

23/01/2014 at 13:29

I have tried, really tried, to control weevils in my small garden, my neighbour doesn't bother and sadly, as fast as I remove mine completely, his continue to thrive because downcast be bothere to treat.

The past 2 years I've only used nematode a in spring and autumn. They seem to work well. Unfortunately, this year less so and I am noticing many new notches in a container- grown evergreen and around my photinia, heucheras and a climbing rose.

i can't re-treat with nematodes now, as the soil is too cold - should I try something else like Provado?

i know it's lethal for wildlife, which is why I've never used it, but it is winter and I'm hoping some kind soul on here will put my mind at rest and assure me I'm not a mass-murderer of pollinating insects!

I do have a couple of resident frogs hibernating somewhere in the garden as well, so I'm keen not to use anything that would harm them...does anyone know if chemicals like Provado stay in the soil for a long time? Will they destroy the grubs?

ugh.

email image
10 messages