Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Transplanting Sedum

Hi all image

Yesterday I decided that I wanted to move my Sedum ( I think it's Autumn Joy) from the front garden as it's too large for the space and also it's the wrong colour.  I have read that sedums are pretty tough and won't mind too much, can anyone confirm this?  Also can I divide it now to make new sedums?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

To be honest I wouldn't split it now - it'll just be forming it's flower buds - that doesn't mean that it won't work, but personally I wouldn't want to take the risk.

However, if you can dig up a huge rootball and move it quickly and water it in well it probably won't notice it's been moved. 

But you say it's huge - how huge is it?  Perhaps splitting it would be ok .......... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Very easy Daisy. Chop 'em up and stick 'em in!

I've just moved one and it's growing away quite happily. If small bits break off you can put them in a pot and they'll root very quickly. Bigger pieces will be happy being planted right away - assuming they're going into a suitable site. They're very forgiving image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

There you are - Fg says it will be fine - I'm just being a bit cowardly image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Dove image

I've done it at all times of the year - even when you're not meant to  - otherwise I wouldn't have said to do it!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Wow fantastic advice, thanks!  I will move it today, I won't try to divide it but if bits break off then so be it.  Dove, it's not monstrous, I only bought it last year, although it's about twice the size now, it's just it's in a narrow strip of a bed down the side of the path at the front.  I planted it there originally because it has full sun and the soil is a bit stony and thin, ideal conditions I thought.  But I found the pink flowers jarring last autumn given that I've got mostly yellow and orange down that side.  Hence the move.

Thanks again everyone, perhaps some cake to show my appreciation...

I've just had a bacon and tomato sandwich - no room for cake, so unless Fg wants some it's all yours Verdun image