London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
41 to 56 of 56 messages
27/06/2013 at 21:50

Andy and Salino - We also have greyhounds - 2 racers (both injured, unfortunately, at the moment) and an 11 year old retired. Lost my beloved 11 year old whippet just after christmas. Retired greyhounds do make fantastic pets. I have kennelhands licence for my hubby.

27/06/2013 at 23:29

hi Frankie.... I love whippet's too... ! I always wanted one of those, such sweet little things... but one dog is enough for us now...   so sorry to hear of the loss of your 11 year old.. always a sad time... and hope that your other 2 will recover very soon and be back on track... always exciting to see them run... 

Andy19,

Hi again Andy, I thought you might have heard of him and the connections...  I didn't have anything to do with the syndicate myself, so don't know any of them personally, my husband did all that... I only know the dog as a pet but I've seen his races on video...

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your father and that you have not been well either, of course we very much hope your gardening interests alleviate things for you as much as they can... I cannot think of a better hobby...  do take care, and so nice to talk with you...

28/06/2013 at 08:42

obelixx! very cute.

28/06/2013 at 08:58

3 cats, Lady Mischief...who wouldn't think of getting her paws dirty using nasty earth for a toilet, tiny bruiser Zola who can just about manage to catch a fly & Sasha...the only pedigree (still a rescue cat) who has the 'Tim nice but dim' aura about him! They've been trained to use either their trays or a small patch of garden, regularly turned & cleaned for them. The only plant that is in danger from all of them is my catmint, protected by putting an upside down wire hanging basket over it, to grow through. The Feline Trio keep it pruned for me! Lady Mischief does bring me in really dangerous leaves that would have done me a lot of damage if she hadn't caught & killed them....one leaf at a time...she was busted the other day when I caught her taking the said leaf off a bush.

28/06/2013 at 09:56

Thanks Salino they make great pets and are very lazy they love just lying about most of them. Frankiewhippet what's your husband's name and where do you race the dogs it's the injuries that are the worst part of racing but we only went to vet if very serious injury we had ultra sound and lazer machines for treating injuries plus swimming pool and walking machine to get them back to fitness had a great set up also 270 yard gallop slightly uphill grass other trainers came to use it also. We had 30 pups 30 race dogs 4 brood bitches i payed my brother and 3 part time staff to look after them i worked full time with the council but when finished work or time off i was always there keeping everything as i wanted loved it great dogs to work with. 

28/06/2013 at 11:14

2 furry ladies - Mimi (well behaved in the garden, even helps to keep the rodents at bay) and Leo (esp. keen on my echinacea seedlings ... probably has a rabbit or two in her line of ancestors) ... but alltogether very lovely feline companions

28/06/2013 at 12:06

lilwead - sounds like a description of my 2 old cats, RIP.

28/06/2013 at 15:17

Hello Andy 19 - My hubby is called Darryl Fradgley - we only have a tiny set up. In fact he knocked kennels out and made them so he couldn't be tempted to take more than 2 racers!!! The most we've had is 9 racing. We usually race at Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry or wherever we can get accepted. The set up you had sounds fantastic. We've had racing dogs for about 40 years, first on the flaps and now licenced, but hubby got made redundant from his job at beginning of year so don't know how long we can carry on, cos, lets face it, it's not a cheap sport to be involved in - Where did u race, Andy ?

28/06/2013 at 15:28

Has any one got pet graves in their garden?

I have 2 dogs and a cat under my lawn !

29/06/2013 at 07:27

Frankiewhippet we raced at Shawfield in Glasgow with graded dogs but where all over England with open race dogs for years very few tracks i've not been in that includes Ireland also good luck to you and your husband with the dogs for the future be lucky.

29/06/2013 at 17:16

We have 2 dogs, an old yellow Lab (he was a rescue) and a young black Lab x Gordon Setter, 10 cats of various ages and colours as well as 5 hens and a cockeral who are supposed to be in their run, but one lady flies out every day and parades around the place helping herself to any tender morsal she fancies. I keep threatening her with either wing clipping or  the cookpot when she eats my lettuces, but its a toss up as to whether she has them or the slugs/snails and since she eats all those she's reprieved for now! 

We also have three donkeys and one autumn morning I opened the shutters to see them all in my veg garden - they had escaped in the night. After putting them back in their field I found that all my leeks had been chomped off to about 3 ins high and several beetroot missing!

29/06/2013 at 19:09

I have two dogs, a car and a kitten ( that was a very sad day) buried in the garden.  No markers but plants there.   

It all adds to the sentiment of the garden which, increasingly, I feel is important.

29/06/2013 at 20:45

We found the skeletons of about 6 dogs, maybe 4 cats, when we were digging our garden to level it. The house is over 150 yrs old, so, it's understandable.

29/06/2013 at 20:45

I feel quite embarrassed as I read about all these virtuous pooches who respect the garden and stay off the borders. We have two bichons called Henry and Maisie and they are not like that at all. They do tend the follow the paths, but when they start to have a wrestling match they romp all over everything and plants just have to be tough enough to take it!   Gerald Durrell used to have two puppies called Widdle and Puke; mine should be called Widdle and Poo, both of which they do on the borders and preferable over a plant.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26494.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

We had Henry as a puppy, bought from a farmer in West Wales. I now realise it was a puppy farm - I was too naive to understand this at the time. Maisie is rehomed, though she was treated well by her previous owners. She is sweet, feminine and loving. Henry is a neurotic idiot, utterly greedy and rather fat. He snarls at us and shows his teeth if we displease him, then lumbers onto OH's lap and wants to have his tummy tickled. He never bites but snarling isn't an attractive habit. He barks at visitors and at birds and at cats and at shadows and at his own reflection in the glass doors. Not sure why he lovable, but he is. He and Maisie are inseparable, even though he snarls at her, too. He is a dedicated gardener. I plant things, Henry digs them up! A fair division of labour, I suppose...

29/06/2013 at 20:49

...a lovely tale... and whatever their faults, they look charming...

30/06/2013 at 13:50

This is my Moo. Not his original name, which is Midge, but evolved over time and fits him much better. I call him my Nigel, as he loves being outside with me (even in the rain) and comes calling for me to go for a constitutional around the garden several times a day. I’m not sure how much it’s related to the mouse farm under the decking........

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26508.jpg?width=310&height=350&mode=max

email image
41 to 56 of 56 messages