London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
41 to 50 of 50 messages
25/03/2013 at 18:46
"unnlike Geoff H, he doesn't show inventive things like GH's free or very cheap to make light box for seedlings and so on and so forth!

There isn't time for any of that!

The BBC allots us gardeners a miserly 30 minute time slot. That 30 minutes is precious - and yet they waste the first 5 telling us what they're going to be doing during the remaining 25!

We're a captive audience! It's our only visual source of good gardening sense from plantsmen/women - not DIYers. We're not going anywhere (though I have to confess to going to make a cuppa while Joe does his Jungle Garden theme - I live on the east coast of Scotland!)

I stopped watching GW during the period when BBC turned it into a dumbed down magazine type prog - full of 30 minute projects and sticking some poor stooge on the screen to be "educated" by the presenters.

Whilst I did feel sorry for Tony (it wasn't his fault) it is such a treat to now have 2 of my trinity speaking directly to me. They don't exactly garden in paradise themselves and they are SO grounded - their love of plants and earth shines through. How can anyone not be enthused by that - no matter the size or location of your plot?

Plenty Howtaes to suit garden DIYers out there on the web .... in fact not that far from where you are, right now .....
25/03/2013 at 21:03

Geoff H and AT only had 30 minutes too and managed to show us simple tricks.  With this version of GW, many beginners wouldn't ever know that a light box or similar is needed to help seedlings grow straight and sturdy instead of leggy and bendy.  They'd just assume it can't be done without greenhouses and cold frames and give up before they start.

When all the people who haven't yet seen it realise how much Beechgrove gets done in its 30 minutes and all without seeming pressured or stressed or rushed they'll see just how little we get each week in the current incarnation of GW and it's not all how tae - it's what, where, when and how and sometimes who plus which plants and materials do best.

25/03/2013 at 22:30
I always thought lightboxes were for photographers, quilters and other craftspersons - haven't come across them for gardeners - are they any different to windowsills?

I must have been very unfortunate in my Beechgrove eavesdropping - didn't come across anything that held my attention for long - last time I hurriedly changed channel after hearing Carol say she was going to demonstrate Cloud Pruning - and then proceeded to snip at something in a 5" pot ..... dear god!

As for seeming pressured or stressed or rushed - I also remember dropping in to one episode where an extremely animated Caroline Spray was trying to cram in the promotion of a mountain of gardening "gifts" which, of course, you could buy from her garden centre.

As I said - I must have been unlucky - and it just goes to show how many approaches to gardening there are. The bottom line is that whatever you watch it only works if it makes you want to get out there and do it!

I'll tune in to Beechgrove when Chris Beardshaw joins them
26/03/2013 at 10:30

Light boxes are used to reflect light backaround seedlings.  You can get very fancy or do as GH did - simply cut a wall form a cardboard or wooden box to let light in, paint the interior white and.or line it with tin foil and bingo - a light box to keep your seedlings straight and short.

26/03/2013 at 11:09

Off to line that spare shoebox with foil Obs. J.

27/03/2013 at 09:56

The Beechgrove has a much more "amateur" feel about it, which isn't to denegrate the knowledge or professionalism of the presenters.  GW is now a very slick production, almost like a Country House type of magazine brought to the screen.

The other main contrast is that Beechgrove is definitely non-organic.

I find Beechgrove gives me more practical help whereas GW just washes over me in a pleasant Friday night sort of way.

I definitely should have used a lightbox for my cosmos seedlings which shot away, grew very tall and bendy but with no true leaves and have now collapsed like a row of dying swans!

27/03/2013 at 10:13

well i for one am very excited that beechgrove is ocmeing to standard tv..as never been able to watch it before.. so now i have 2 sessions a week of gardneing..

cant wait

27/03/2013 at 12:05

Now confirmed that the Sunday showing will be at 9.30 in the morning in England BBC2

http://www.thebeechgrovegarden.com/

14/06/2013 at 23:32
Last night I found myself unusually able to sit down on a Thursday and tuned into Beechgrove for the first time since the inaugural national showing - in the depths of the snow in March - and, as fate would have it, I found Chris Beardshaw planting around the burn, varieties of the same plants which I've had sitting in pots in various stages of rescue for months, having been too busy making new veggie plot to do anything with them. Result - one problem corner completely transformed in an hour, this morning. THANK YOU CHRIS!!!
14/06/2013 at 23:50

Do we get to see a pic Sue?

email image
41 to 50 of 50 messages