London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
10 messages
02/07/2014 at 20:12

Needing advice on when flower buds should be forming.I planted it in a container on

the 24th of May,growing with plenty of leaf but only small what are potential flowers,am I been impatient,any help greatly appreciated.

02/07/2014 at 20:19

Questions first - how big is the container, how deep did you plant it, what sort of compost did you use and have you fed it since?

Clematis are hungry, thirsty plants so if it's been underfed and watered it will struggle to grow.  Also, they can take a year or two to getthemselves established and have a happy root system before they really start to perform.

I would suggest patience and a generous liquid feed of rose or tomato food now and again next week and maybe the week after but not more than that this year or it will just produce soft, sappy growth that doesn't have time to ripen before the winter frosts zap it.

02/07/2014 at 20:20

Hi Eddstedd.  I found the following link helpful

http://www.lynandmalc.co.uk/clematis_buds.htm

I purchased 3 clematis from Taylors and planted them at the end of March this year.  Two are in pots and one in the ground.  The one in the ground is flowering profusely, the second one has started to flower and has a few buds at the top of the plant and the 3rd one is growing and looks healthy but no sign of buds.  All are supposed to flower from June to September.

Do you know what type of clematis it is?  It may be worth checking when it is supposed to flower. 

02/07/2014 at 20:23

Oh What a shame. I received a young clematis, in a pot, at Xmas. It had quite a few buds on then. Since then, I have repotted it, to a bigger pot, 3 times, and it has produced many pink flowers. I found I had to find the right  place for it in my bungalow, not too hot, nor too shady. At present its in the conservatory. I would like to know if it can grow outdoors, in a pot/? I do hope your plant soon gets going and provides you with many lovely flowers.

02/07/2014 at 20:32

Clematis are usually grown outdoors and are not conservatory plants except for one or two recent introductions from NZ which are not frost hardy.  I have about 40 clematis in the garden and they all withstand -25C or more which is what I need here.

Ernest Markham is hardy to -25C.

02/07/2014 at 20:45

ThaNKS FOR THAT.iTS ONLY BEEN PUT IN THE CONSERVATORY BECAUSE ITS IN A BIG POT, BUT , TOMORROW, OUT GOES  rITA!!

02/07/2014 at 20:53

Thanks for  the helpful replies,the pot is a 16"deep and16"in diameter which I feel

is OK.I used Murphys multi-purpose compost  with a small handful of bone-meal .Feed-wise before covering its feet added some potash under the broken tiles which I used for this purpose.The plant in question looking at my records has been fed five times with tomerite ,hope this helps.

02/07/2014 at 22:38

I think 16 inches is a bit mean for a clematis and that 24" or 60cms wide and deep should be a minimum with a mulch of pebbles or expanded clay pellets to retain moisture.  A John Innes no 3 would be better for the compost.

However, as I said, they can take a season or two to settle down and get going so be patient but do consider giving it a deeper, wider pot if you can next spring.   It flowers best when treated as a group 3 which means you can cut the stems hard back to just above the lowest pair of buds next spring which will make repotting easier. 

Plant it 3 or 4 inches deeper than you currently have it as this encourages extra stems to form and thus more flowers.  Give it a generous feed of slow release clematis food then and every spring plus weekly top up tonics of tomorite or similar until it starts to flower.   Living in a pot makes it entirely dependent on you for food and water.

03/07/2014 at 11:32

Take everything on board in what you sey,this plant is my first clematis and I am grateful to learn.Too late in the season to do anything major but will seriously

consider doing as ou have advised.

10/07/2014 at 19:53

I have to hang my head in shame! Apologies to the above who replied and were helpful. Something kept niggling me and now I know what it is. I wasnt talking about clematis, butCYCLAMEN !!!!!!!!!!!! MUPPET, Karools

email image
10 messages