Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Crikey! I thought "I" was crazy????

What do you make of this story?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-38184599

A veggie cafe has refused to accept new fivers on the basis that it contains tallowimage.

Don't get me wrong, I have a veggie daughter who is more vigilant than most and checks the labels for hidden "animal additives" like the gelatine in sweeties.

But...... she doesn't force her choices onto others.

Is this a case of commercial suicide for the cafe? Or clever advertising?

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

I agree with pfimage

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I had no idea about the tallow and agree it is utterly stupid and insensitive.   What an amazing blunder.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • The new notes contain absolutely minuscule amounts of tallow, which is perfectly harmless. They are also more hygienic as they pick up fewer bacteria and less drugs. I think the people who are complaining should get a life!

• If eating a single molecule is offensive to their god then it simply illustrates how ridiculous their religion is.

It seems that the right to a life does not extend to pigs if you are Jewish or Muslim! And using tallow does not reduce the number of animals in the world, it is a waste product. If everyone stopped eating meat the animals would have to be slaughtered.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

If we all turned vegetarian there would be no farm animals and even more rare breeds because no-one would keep them as pets.

I have ethics about stuff I buy - well brought up meat and poultry, sustainable fish, organic eggs and veggies, nothing from China if  I can source it from Europe, nothing from Primark or Benetton and the like because they use indentured female and child labour in Asia and so on and so forth.

Putting animal products in bank notes when there are vegetable alternatives is crass - offensive to vegetarians and Hindus and there are rather a lot of both in the UK.   

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

As far as I am aware, being a vegetarian, is not a religious issue. I would imagine people of all faiths, and none might be vegetarians.

It therefore seems, at the very least thoughtless to use an animal product in this way.

Surely we should be looking for less reasons to offend people.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Hmmm... Lots of interesting thoughts and opinions here. I started this thread thinking only of the financial implications on the business concerned, not as a vegan or religious issue.

I like muddle up's shoe analogy. The cafe isn't producing the fivers, they are simply passing through. Can they afford to turn away custom based on the method of payment?

Further reading on this story indicates that the bank of england are looking at alternatives to tallow. Palm or coconut oil can be used to create the stearic acid, although the cost is greater.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

I AGREE WITH PANSY FACE AND OBELIXX.

BUT MUDDLE UP HAS A POINT ABOUT LEATHER BAGS AND SHOES. I THOUGHT VEGETARIANS WORE LEATHER SHOES THOUGH? VEGANS DON'T.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't think the cafe will suffer Kitty. It's what the regular customer of a veggie cafe would expect and agree with.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Yes nut it's true that the regulars won't be put off by the ban. And they have got LOTS of free advertising because of their stance image