London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
6 messages
12/02/2013 at 15:25

Hi, living in Renfrewshire, Scotland (near Glasgow), when would be the best time to sow seeds inside and outside.  By this I mean, if the packet says sow outdoors in March-April or indoors in January - March, how much later than these months should I sow them here?  I was always led to believe that the times on the packets were for sowing down south where the temperature is normally a bit higher.

12/02/2013 at 15:35

It depends-so what in particular are these?

The bulk of seed is sown in March-but it is all down to the conditions so a bit more info is required

Last frost date,current weather conditions ,soil conditions

Tender plants or hardy plants? -do you have as greenhouse? -cold or heated?-a cold frame?- a propagator?

Not as easy as looking at the back of a packet

12/02/2013 at 15:53

It is mainly veg seeds I am planning to sow, and sweet peas.  I know that I need to wait until after the frost to sow/plant outdoors but just wondered if there were some other guidelines. I usually feel that I sow my seeds a bit late to make sure I am not too early and then of course I can run out of time for them to grow before the cold wet days start again. I do start them off in a propagator in the greenhouse but do  not heat the greenhouse now. I harden off in a coldframe gradually until I feel it is time to plant out. I suppose if I don't sow them on the first suggested date (on the packet) and then use common sense, I shouldn't go too far wrong.

12/02/2013 at 16:04

I think you are doing the right thing by the sound of it there is a tendency if a packet says January to March some will go all goody it says January without thinking -what do I do next?

I have known people sow runner beans in March-because the packet said so and then wonder what they do with foot high plants in April and it is frosty outside

To my mind plants always catch up with a later sowing -the temperatures are higher -light levels better and don't get so much molly-coddling

Common sense says it all

12/02/2013 at 16:10
12/02/2013 at 16:29

Thanks for your comments AND ESPECIALLY  the link for the chart - that is exactly what I have been looking for to help me.  Many thanks again.  I will now go and have a look at my seed packets and decide when to sow. 

email image
6 messages