London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
4 messages
07/09/2012 at 19:31

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing this product tomorrow and B&Q have a 15% discount on.  Any opinions would be most welcome especially the weight as I've never used one before and I'm not young.  . Also they do a AHS 55-16 model which is a bit more money.   Would it be suitabe and worth paying the extra.

07/09/2012 at 22:31

Hi, I have just had to replace my hedge trimmer and went with a bigger brother of the Bosch range (AHS 6000). I am very happy with it. It is a much sturdier builtd than my former one. I bought mine from Homebase and you are able to pick them up in store and feel the weight at shoulder height etc. My new one is heavier than my old one but it gets through the work (hawthorn hedge) much quicker and easier. If you are worried about the weight, length of blade etc., I would take your old hedge trimmer along with you so you can compare the two without the guess work. Hope this helps.

08/09/2012 at 06:55

I have a Bosch 55cm cordless hedge trimmer. I prefer the cordless models, because I have some hedge quite a long distance from the house, and, in any case I don't like the trouble of messing around untangling cables, and also hedge trimmers and electric cables don't mix well, IMO. Though they should be safe if operated with the recommended cutouts.

The hedgecutter that I have has a long blade, and is powerful, at least for my requirements. Bosch suppy the trimmer with two batteries, so you can swop batteries at half-time.

I have some other Bosch tools - a cordless strimmer and a shreder. They are all well-designed and I have never had any trouble with any of them. My only complaint is that the hedge trimmer batteries are not interchangeable with the strimmer battery.

The only difference between the two models you were refering to is the length of the blade, They are otherwise identical. In general, if you have a lot of hedge, then larger models are a big advantage, because the blade cuts a larger area, and therefore gets the job done quicker. But for a small hedge around a small/medium garden, a bigger model is not an advantage.

The prices of those two models at Amazon are:

Bosch 45-16 (45cm blade), £45.95 + carriage
Bosch 55-16 (55cm blade), £62.99 + free carriage

08/09/2012 at 12:48

just bought a hedge trimmer from B?Q on offer at £29 a Spear and Jackson extra length and its superb  a bit heavy at armslength and a little noisy but its very powerfull and strong recomend it just keep it well oiled after every use good luck

email image
4 messages