London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
16 messages
08/07/2013 at 23:11

I brought a pair of felco secateurs last week and only just realised i brought #4 instead of #2. 1 i cant believe its taken me a week to realise and 2 what a idiot oh well back to thinking im a idiot

08/07/2013 at 23:47

Sorry, maybe I'm the idiot - you bought a pair of secateurs and then realised that you had purchased 4 pairs not 2 pairs ?!  

08/07/2013 at 23:57

Felco's  are marked number 2,4,5,6,7 ect and i ordered felco number 4 instead of felcon number 2's. so brought one pair but got the wrong one

09/07/2013 at 04:55

Maybe if they are new you can exchange them?!

09/07/2013 at 08:25

Kev.  You used them yet?  If not, ask for exchange.  Always breaking secateurs so I buy cheapos every year but one day someone on the forum will buy me a pair of felcos..........  I'm sure felco service department will discuss this with you anyway even if you have used them. Just say you were confused and made a mistake

09/07/2013 at 11:10

SwissSue might only be a week old but they are defo use now. 

Verdun I have well and truly used them. Doesn't matter now i think as they have proved their worth and share some parts with the number 2's, the quality is still the same and they do the job. mine don't have the shock absorber and the micrometric adjustment thing. I was teh same as you Verdun i used to buy the cheapo's every summer but i think of the amount i have spent previously on secateurs.

BTW i even brought the Felco Holster F910 talk about it will withstand anything the  secateurs can chuck at them tho cos they are deeper  than the number 2's but that will mold in to shape over time

09/07/2013 at 20:33

Hi Kev van, I've got a pair of Felco 6s and should have bought them years ago, brilliant arent they, so smooth and easy to use.

09/07/2013 at 21:30

I think I will treat myself to a pair of felcos too.  Since I do a lot of pruning a top quality felco would be very nice

09/07/2013 at 21:36

You won't regret it Verdun 

09/07/2013 at 21:57

Verdun i agree with everything  paulah has said

23/07/2013 at 14:16

This might be a stupid question but What is special about Felcos, I'm curious because early this year i damaged a tendon or muscle in my forearm cutting with secateurs, mine are fully metal & sharp & as i like top quality tools i consider these to be good. my arm/elbow still hurts now 6mths on, I'm a joiner & can't be damaging my self like that,

23/07/2013 at 14:57

Felcos might not be the only good ones GJ but they are very good and there's an awful lot of rubbish out there.

23/07/2013 at 15:28

I have a pair of Wilkinson Sword ones that I've had for years - amazingly , as I'm always putting them down and forgetting where! I found the Felcos uncomfortable (my hands are small and I have rubbish wrists ) so I suppose the moral is - handle secateurs first before you buy them - whatever the make. Especially if you use them a lot. They need to feel right.

It's like kitchen knives- they have to suit your hand. 

23/07/2013 at 16:59

Felco are among the best quality around and have been for decades. I used to manage a hand tools shop back in the 70/80s and Felco were the only brand that was copied by an inferior company (Fedco) trading on the Felco name that I knew of. I couldn't afford Felco in those days (even at trade price) so when I saw a brand new set of Felco 2 in its original packet in a 'Secondhand Shop' the type of shop that does house clearances, and priced at £7.50 I walked in and offered £5.00 for them and the guy accepted my offer (obviously had no idea what they were or how much retail price was and hadn't done any research!). I've had them now since 1986 and wouldn't part with them BUT: I do have large hands and a strong grip and they suit me fine. Like FG we do have a pair of Wilkinson Sword which are Eileen's (OH) favourites being somewhat smaller and easier for her to handle.

23/07/2013 at 17:13

Hi Kev, I've had my felcos some years now and they really are very, very good. You can get replacement blades and parts too, just treated myself to new blade as they're in use everyday throughout the year and the holster is excellent it keeps the blade safe and your back pocket!!

If the No 4.'s don't suit though maybe you could sell them on ebay or something? have only used the 2's myself and they've been brilliant.

24/07/2013 at 22:12

Ok thanks folks when i need new I'll consider these,but as FG says I'd always want to handle them first, I've had the ones i've got for many years & the quality is good,the metal will sharpen nicely & as i said,as a joiner i appreciate good tools, these have done me well, since damaging myself early in the year though I've bought a good pair of loppers,longer handled geared cutters that will do up to 40mm so i don't have to swing on my secateurs,anything over 10mm gets cut with those now, think that's what damaged my arm & not the secateurs, maybe I'm just getting old 

email image
16 messages