London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
5 messages
29/05/2014 at 15:33

I'm at my OH's in N Belgium at the moment (same climate as S England).  Her hedge needs trimming/pruning and I shall have to do it.  It's partly holly and partly laurel, so pretty robust.  Is this a good time to start hacking it about?  And how often should I encourage her to do it?

What about rampant honeysuckle?

29/05/2014 at 15:51

Not now Steve, not unless you're 100% certain there's no birds nesting in it! 

29/05/2014 at 18:06

Oh - there aren't.  I was thinking more of the welfare of the trees!

The council here (she works for them) prohibits all tree/hedge cutting during April, May & June.  I'd've thought Feb, March and July ought to be added to that too!

But at home the other day I saw council workmen cutting roadside hedges

29/05/2014 at 18:23

I agree, lots of nesting in Feb and March at least.

I think councils will cut hedges back in the nesting months if it's impacting on road safety, and if they're sure there's no nest in the hedge, but if nesting birds are disturbed they are breaking the law http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/2185.htm

I wouldn't cut your OH's hedge back until the autumn - laurel is best pruned with secateurs, cutting back individual shoots rather than with hedge clippers or shears, as these will cut through the large leaves which will look ugly, and then the edges will go brown and look even uglier. 

I'd cut a holly hedge back in December, and then utilise the clippings for Christmas decorations. 

29/05/2014 at 18:29

OK - ta.  So not a few times during the year like privet etc. then.

email image
5 messages