London (change)
Thu 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
9 messages
22/04/2013 at 20:35

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had the fortune or not to try the apparently amazing expandable Xhose from the US?  I feel a bit disillusioned with the hoses and casings I see at garden centres/on-line, they seem so thin and I can see that they will kink and leave permanent kink dents.  We've already binned one for being so awful.  I have seen mixed reviews for the Xhose on Amazon.  Any advice would be gratefully received.  Also, would welcome any other hose recommendations.

Thanks

KP

23/04/2013 at 00:56

Seen the advert, wonder how hard you need the tap on to expand it. not the cheapest option which normally splits (argos do a particularly bad one if its got re-enforcing then it may be ok

best thing to avoid kinks is a hose reel.

23/04/2013 at 08:32
Not comvinced by these expandable hoses.
I think they do separate from taps too easily and can damage plants caught up in
It.
Kinks in my hose drive me mad though when suddenly water supply stops because of them.
I think hose reel is a..........reelly ?.....good solution ....I'll get my coat
23/04/2013 at 09:02

I've seen these on telly and read the reviews on Amazon. Sounds like a cheap gag Made in China. I'd be more inclined to get something like this (we have something similar and it hasn't kinked yet!:

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200439&pf_id=LS4991D&source=webgains&siteid=47684

23/04/2013 at 09:16

Wow, that looks good, Swiss Sue! I've been wondering about that Xhose myself.

23/04/2013 at 14:12

Thank you everyone for your advice, I think I shall go for your recommendation Swiss Sue.  Just what I need.  Yes, the Xhose looks very gimmicky and I never thought of it catching plants - good point!

Cheers

PF

24/04/2013 at 11:32

When watching the video my immediate thought was i can see how it expands, but i bet it's a pain to deflate.. It's basically a nylon cloth hose with a wire frame i guess, not convinced it would contract in the same way that it expands, and i would 100% bet that after a while the tension in the metal would go and it would go funny.

I'd imagine if space was an issue you'd be better off with one of those flat cloth hoses. They kink too, but at least it doesn't end up perminant. Mind i just bought a new hose and just went for the bog standard hoselock hose, i'll not lose any sleep over the kinks!

13/07/2013 at 20:30

I have had a 75ft xhose for three months... it was brilliant (no wire mesh) until I heard a loud pop which resulted in a four inch split in the outer covering and several other holes nearby. I have exchanged it for a new one from ASDA as I expect my 1st one must have been faulty. I direct the water into a watering can when it empties during contraction to approx 25ft empty state.

24/10/2013 at 23:34

I have just returned one that I had used throughout the summer.I was using it when I heared a tearing sound and when I turned round a part of it had blew up like a baloon and then exploded like one !!!!! The tearing sound was the blue outer material as the inner tube must have had a leak.

I had ordered it from a shopping channel in U.K. and they gave me a refund straight away.Don't think I would buy another one.I must say though that I was really impressed with it but think the same thing may happen again.

email image
9 messages