London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
22/04/2013 at 20:35

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had the fortune or not to try the apparently amazing expandable Xhose from the US?  I feel a bit disillusioned with the hoses and casings I see at garden centres/on-line, they seem so thin and I can see that they will kink and leave permanent kink dents.  We've already binned one for being so awful.  I have seen mixed reviews for the Xhose on Amazon.  Any advice would be gratefully received.  Also, would welcome any other hose recommendations.

Thanks

KP

23/04/2013 at 00:56

Seen the advert, wonder how hard you need the tap on to expand it. not the cheapest option which normally splits (argos do a particularly bad one if its got re-enforcing then it may be ok

best thing to avoid kinks is a hose reel.

23/04/2013 at 08:32
Not comvinced by these expandable hoses.
I think they do separate from taps too easily and can damage plants caught up in
It.
Kinks in my hose drive me mad though when suddenly water supply stops because of them.
I think hose reel is a..........reelly ?.....good solution ....I'll get my coat
23/04/2013 at 09:02

I've seen these on telly and read the reviews on Amazon. Sounds like a cheap gag Made in China. I'd be more inclined to get something like this (we have something similar and it hasn't kinked yet!:

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200439&pf_id=LS4991D&source=webgains&siteid=47684

23/04/2013 at 09:16

Wow, that looks good, Swiss Sue! I've been wondering about that Xhose myself.

23/04/2013 at 14:12

Thank you everyone for your advice, I think I shall go for your recommendation Swiss Sue.  Just what I need.  Yes, the Xhose looks very gimmicky and I never thought of it catching plants - good point!

Cheers

PF

24/04/2013 at 11:32

When watching the video my immediate thought was i can see how it expands, but i bet it's a pain to deflate.. It's basically a nylon cloth hose with a wire frame i guess, not convinced it would contract in the same way that it expands, and i would 100% bet that after a while the tension in the metal would go and it would go funny.

I'd imagine if space was an issue you'd be better off with one of those flat cloth hoses. They kink too, but at least it doesn't end up perminant. Mind i just bought a new hose and just went for the bog standard hoselock hose, i'll not lose any sleep over the kinks!

13/07/2013 at 20:30

I have had a 75ft xhose for three months... it was brilliant (no wire mesh) until I heard a loud pop which resulted in a four inch split in the outer covering and several other holes nearby. I have exchanged it for a new one from ASDA as I expect my 1st one must have been faulty. I direct the water into a watering can when it empties during contraction to approx 25ft empty state.

24/10/2013 at 23:34

I have just returned one that I had used throughout the summer.I was using it when I heared a tearing sound and when I turned round a part of it had blew up like a baloon and then exploded like one !!!!! The tearing sound was the blue outer material as the inner tube must have had a leak.

I had ordered it from a shopping channel in U.K. and they gave me a refund straight away.Don't think I would buy another one.I must say though that I was really impressed with it but think the same thing may happen again.

08/05/2014 at 23:27

I've had an chose for just over a year, used it approximately 7 times, 7th time it too popped open, seems a general theme. I know 3 other people who had the same issues but they were refunded. Got mine from shopping channel, but just over year old but paid £75 for 75 foot and I am wanting a full refund or replacement as this product clearly is not fit for purpose. Only wished I used it often, it would have then burst within the year...

12/05/2014 at 17:57

Too me it just seems to gimmicky.  I've a number of hoses, all just on reels and they don't take long to wind back up and if worst comes to worst I can just cut out a section and put in a connector if it springs a leak.  You can't do that with Xhose.

13/06/2014 at 13:23
19/06/2014 at 12:45

I bought a generic one of these for £9 for  a 50 foot from a cash n carry. I can honestly say I have had no problems and I use it every day. It doesn't contract as quick as it shows on the x hose advert but it does the job for a fraction of the price.

19/06/2014 at 17:53

I had one for about 3 months and it burst with me too. Had it replaced but won't buy another one even though they are great when they are working. 

19/06/2014 at 18:04

I have one, well actually 2 50 foot one attached together to make a 100 foot one (it was cheaper to get the two than to buy a 100 foot on it's own!! I am very pleased with it, no bursting so far 

20/06/2014 at 23:04

I am on my 3rd x hose the first,, was too short for my garden the 2nd one got caught on a sharp corner of the bungalow, the 3rd one which was 100ft long just went pop, I am always careful where I positioned it as not too catch it on anything sharp, so was really gutted. I loved the way it shrinks down small enough to put into a flower pot and all other hose I've tried kink or end up popping of they tap and dripping everywhere

24/06/2014 at 14:02

I think because of the fault of the X Hose is the reason Ideal World are now selling a second generation X Hose (as they are calling it) as been modified and made stronger if you listen to the video..............Has anyone bought one of these...........???????

27/06/2014 at 05:58
Just ordered the 2nd Generation one... Had the other one first, and 2nd week, massive bang and it popped , soaking me in the process!
Such a shame as when working they're brilliant, and luckily it exploded in the garden as I had trailed it through the house to wash outside the front door, and had it burst then , I suspect I would have been mopping up for a couple of weeks before I had a chance to turn off the tap!!!!
Have seen that this is a common fault with the first type of xhose, and yes Idealworld have now stopped selling them.
Hope this 2nd Gen one works... Fingers crossed!
30/06/2014 at 20:05

Absolute Rubbish!!!

bought 50ft one from Homebase £37.99 used for first time attached to telescopic lance to clean my conservatory roof. Lasted 30 minutes hose came detached from fitting elastic ate inner contracted into the depths of the main hose so completely useless cant be reattached to the fitting. By the way roof was 8 ft from tap so 50 ft tap not over stretched just to weak attached to its fitting in factory!

took back got replacement no problem.

just used it to clean my truck. Replacement 50 ft hose attached to another tap in my drive 4 ft from truck. This time lasted 10 minutes max! Taking back tommorow for refund exact same problem hose attachment to connector in factory not strong enough. Came off elastic ate dinner hose disappears up depths of inner hose and can't be reattached!

came in to look on internet to see what other people thought.

for the short time the hoses lasted they were brilliant! However cheap attachment low quality made in China but high cost in shop not worth it!

AVOID DISSAPOINTMENT (stick with traditional hose on a quality reel) persevere with the kinks and thank goodness you not soaked from continual x hose attachment breakages.

02/07/2014 at 10:31

I agree with Mark King - I had one for a short time and found the quality not up to scratch so bought myself a standard trolley reel: http://www.twwholesale.co.uk/product.php/section/6466/sn/30M-Hose-Trolley-30MHT does the job and should last me a long time.

Save your money and go with good traditional products not gadgets.

1 to 20 of 27 messages