Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

rockery

Well onto my next project which consists of 130 rocks.

Yes i am doing a rockery.

anyone got any suggestions on what plants would look good.

I want plants with height and plants for ground cover.

anyone got any pictures of a rockery garden.

area is semi shade and i am going to add loads of compost to lighten the soil.

This is my second project i have done and still have about 5 to do.

My first one was my grasses and would like to thank everyone who gave advice on the thread.

The area for my rockery measures 10 foot by 10 foot.

• Thanks verdun.

I received the rocks off a friend and yes the rocks are all the same.

I know the semi shade will be a problem so carefull planting will be done.

The area of the garden has no edging so most of the rocks will be used to make a border around the area.

I will also be putting down gravel.the membrane is already down,done that this morning.

The area for my rockery is in two parts one measures 10 foot by 10 foot and the other is only 18 inches wide but 13 foot long,this area will be used for height with plants growing down to the large rockery.

hope it works out but may change it before i finish it.

• Creating a convincing rockery is more complicated than it may seem at first.  It is all too easy to end up with something that looks a bit like a steamed pudding with raisins scattered over it.  And with the greatest of respect,  I'm afraid that if you use  '.... most of the rocks to make a border around the area' then what you will have is a flower bed with stones around the edge and not a rockery. 

A rockery is a replica of a natural outcrop of rock, recreated in your garden.  This may help a little http://www.garden.ie/gardendesign.aspx?id=479.  and there's some lovely pictures of rockeries here to give you some ideas of the possibilities  http://uktv.co.uk/home/item/aid/657519

Use Google and you'll find lots more images to fuel your imagination.

Good luck image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Dove, I love the 'spotted dick' commentimageimageimage

• I read a similar description somewhere years ago - could've been Geoff Hamilton - it stuck with me.

Have you checked your PMs lately?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• thanks for your comments.

what i meant to say was, i will be using the smaller rocks around the edge.

I do have larger rocks which are about 25kg each.which would be used as a feature.

i have looked on the internet at pictures of rockerys and found some which look good and i am going to try to copy.

thanks again for all your comments.

• thanks for that link dovefromabove it brings a new meaning to a rockery for me.

• Danny, this book is available on Amazon for £1.18 - it's one of the late great Geoff Hamilton's Penny Pincher series, and I'm sure that you'll find it full of useful ideas and

tips 

I'm sure it would be a good investment. image

• Thanks just ordered it.