June is a busy time on the allotment. The nights should now be frost-free, and the days are long, which gives you plenty of time to get on with the jobs that need doing. There are lots of jobs to do, including planting courgettes and runner beans, watering during hot spells and, of course, harvesting.
Here are some key allotment jobs for June.
Now's the time to plant out young plants of runner beans, French beans, courgettes, pumpkins, squashes and sweetcorn, plus outdoor tomatoes and cucumbers. You can also plant out Brussels sprouts, cabbages, cauliflowers and celeriac.
- Buy veg plugs from Suttons
- For help choosing the right trowel see our trowels buyers guide
- Read our review of our Best Buy Kent and Stowe Capability Trowel
- Buy our Best Buy Kent and Stowe Capability Trowel at Amazon
Keep sowing beetroot, radishes and lettuce successionally, every week or so, for crops in a few weeks' time. You can also sow carrots but be sure to protect sowings from carrot fly, using insect-proof mesh.
- Buy Carrot seeds from Suttons
Keeping on top of weeds is still an important job - hoe between rows and let annual weed seedlings dry out on top of the soil.
- For help choosing the right hoe see our best garden hoe review
- Buy our Best Buy Kew Gardens Hoe from Spear & Jackson
- Find out how to hoe effectively with Monty Don
Protect strawberries by mulching around them with straw to keep mud splashes off, and keep birds off your ripening strawberry crop by covering your plants with netting.
- Buy Strawberry Plants from Dobies
It can be tricky to keep on top of watering in summer, so remember that a good soak is much better than a regular sprinkle. Prioritise anything that's been recently planted, tomatoes and cucumbers. Read our guide to summer watering.
- Choose the right watering can for you with our round-up of the best styles
- Buy Sankey Green Plastic Watering Can from B&Q
- For help choosing the right hose and reel see our round-up of the best hoses and reels
- Best buy Hozelock hose on Ebay
Start feeding tomatoes in growing bags with a high potash tomato food - this will encourage the production of more flowers, and therefore, more fruits.
- Buy Liquid Seaweed Feed from Suttons