Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Apple Trees and Grass Clippings

Last year I started using my lawn grass clippings to mulch around the base of my apple trees.  It seemed like an elegant solution that got rid of the clippings and prevented weeds around the trees.

Lately I have been wondering if there are likely to be any ill effects forom doing this regularly.  Does anyone here know what the longer term effect of grass mulching apple trees might be, (if any).

Thanks.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I do it.  Grass cutting are high in nitrogen so probably don't do it when you get to Autumn when you don't want to encourage sappy new growth which won't have time to harden off before Winter.  Make sure they aren't put down in layers too thick or it will form a mat which water can't get through and don't let them touch the trunk.  I'm sure someone else will be along in a bit with more info,

• could anybody tell me when is the best time to trim back my two apple trees thank you

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi Paul - best to start a new thread with the title 'pruning apple trees' or something similar so that those in the know will see it more easily image

However, I think I'm right in saying that late winter is the time for pruning to get your new growth for next year, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will respond.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I keep grass clippings away from my apple trees as I'm concerned about scab.

Apples can be pruned anytime when dormant.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

... which means when they have no leaves and aren't about to open new ones, in other words, about Nov - Feb .  But avoid hard frost.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Paul , pruning apple trees first depends on there age , for the planting and the early years  pruning differs from later older trees so to get it right try this advice from the RHS its all made simple ,even i understand it,

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=164    image